• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Waterlaser for fillings is amazing..

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay... so I just got back from the dentist with my son having his first filling and had such a great experience. #1. The dentist was absolutely great with him.. Very kind , gentle, super easy going and personable. My son had never had any fillings and didn't know what to expect. Well The dentist office just had got this waterlaser to among other things do fillings using the laser to get rid of the decay than do the usual filling part . This was just great ! My son said he felt nothing at all. he said the worst part was the part that hugged his tooth.. something that the dentist put around the tooth to keep it dry and separate, not a rubbar dam but a silver thing that went around the tooth. Anyways it was tolerable as well. He said it sounded like a video game in his mouth. I guess that is cool for a kid. :). No problems whatsoever.. we got to the car and he says.. Man, going to the dentist is awesome. I said what is the best part? he said the waterlaser :)

This waterlaser can be used for getting rid of decay for filling procedures, I guess for some soft tissue work and helping with bleeding less. I'm not sure what else, but if you are afraid of getting fillings for whatever reason.. there is no pain and its pretty non anxiety producing way to do it!! Highly recommend..!

I have been keeping an eye out for an update! So glad to hear that the filling went so well for him! You have really done right by him, so kudos to you too! What you are describing that “hugged his tooth” is called a matrix band. The band is fastened around the tooth and used as a mold to build back up the outer wall of the tooth; it also keeps a small gap open for flossing. It feels a bit tight or like pressure around the tooth (my dentist always described it as ‘squeezing’ but ‘hugging’ is definitely a more friendly description lol). For some reason, my dentist always seems to think that the band is going to scare me but it’s never really bothered me much. Were you nervous for your son or was it difficult trying to appear calm for his appointment?

Kitkat. On one hand the part of me that remembered that old trauma experience of my fillings was nervous . on the other hand the part of me that knew my current dentist and team, didn't have too many doubts that they would be gentle and kind and treat him nice.. I processed my feelings of old traumas with a friend today and that helped and when I stepped in the office I got more calm realizing where we were. You know sometimes its even harder to watch your kids get work done that you get work done yourself :) But I certainly have all the more respect now for my dentist and team. I think it really helps me to know he has some boys my sons age too so I think he knows how to work with kids and really keep them calm and comfortable during treatment just as he would his own kids.

That is great that you had somebody to talk to about your feelings. I do not have children but I can imagine it would be very difficult. I know there is a the real challenge of not passing on the fear to your children but it can be equally damaging to have parents who cannot sympathize or understand the fear. Your fear has benefited him in that you are making sure that you protect him from similar negative experiences. Growing up, I was always sent back to face the dentist on my own (from a very young age...4 or 5 maybe? Ever since I can remember) and we changed dentists a few times and it always really bothered me if we had a new dentist and I was being sent in first for treatment. It felt a bit like being thrown to the wolves..I wanted an adult to have treatment with them first and properly “screen them” to make sure they were “safe.” I will never understand how my mother could just blindly pass me off to somebody with no concern for my well-being but I guess it was a different time then..

Glad to know it went well! My daughter had something similar when she had her filling done. I didn't hear it called a water laser, but the dentist did say it was something with water, and she didn't have to be numbed for it.

I think it is so hard to watch my kids get stuff done! I had so much trauma associated with getting teeth pulled as a kid, and when my daughter had to have two baby teeth pulled, I actually had to turn away so she couldn't see me crying! She was terrified, but mostly of the shots. She said the extractions were no big deal. She didn't even realize when they were pulled.

Mountainmama, That is cool your daughter also had it, i imagine it was the same thing, it is pretty incredible and wish it was around when I was a kid.. better late than never though :) for our kids sake .

" I actually had to turn away so she couldn't see me crying! She was terrified, but mostly of the shots. She said the extractions were no big deal. She didn't even realize when they were pulled."

I soo get this.. it is Really hard to watch and not think of our own past trauma and want to jump into the chair and rather do it ourselves than watch them. SOooo thankful for kind and gentle dentists and better technology as well.

I also wish this was around when I had my first filling. done years ago

Back