• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New wisdom tooth problem!

N

Nat

Hi, I was wondering if a dentist could give me advice on a wisdom tooth that is just starting to come through at the back bottom right of my jaw, I see a bit of tooth coming through but it is causing me no end of problems. My bottom jaw is aching terribly and it is now affecting my ear, its sometimes excruciating pain and I was wondering what a dentist would do with it, I think its going to grow sideways into my gums but im not to sure. The question I guess I have is can it be left alone or will a dentist do something to it seeing as its not going to grow straight. There is only a tiny bit growing out and not really enough to grab hold of so how would a dentist take it out? Will I have to wait and just bear the pain or can they do something at my appointment which is the 16th march :scared:

Need to see an x-ray to comment sensibly on this one, sorry. The current guidelines are not to extract a wizzie unless it's causing problems, it's not clear if yours is causing normal "teething" type pain or something more serious. What age are you?

I am 31, one other tooth grew fine, its just this one thats causing me problems!

Well, it's unlikely to be "normal" eruption type pain then. Looks like extraction might be on the cards.

Nat, did the first pr*** dentist you saw (I'm sure you'd rather forget all about that encounter :sick:) say anything about that wizzie? He would've seen the x-rays. Did he mention anything at all? I mean, the problem should have been apparent...

Your new dentist may prescribe suitable painkillers, if it's still bugging you by the time you meet him :). He would also be in a better position to tell you what can be done to alleviate the pain, thing is how he has seen your x-rays.

BTW, if you're in a lot of pain (it sounds like this happened quite suddenly?), I'd say call them and see if you can get an emergency appointment; he might be able to help you. For all we know, the pain may not even related to the wizzie.

The first dentist said absolutely nothing to me regarding my X-Rays, He took them then basically ushered me out. The pain has gone now as it only tends to come and go but when it does come boy do I know it! The thing is, im not entirely sure it is the wisdom tooth thats causing me pain as I have a problem tooth in that area as well, I can only eat on one side due to the severe pain I will get if I eat on the other so maybe the pain is the problem tooth? I guess I will find out on the 16th :scared: Thanks Gordon and lets for your advice!

Pain from a wisdom tooth is generally pretty specific, it feels like your mouth is unable to open properly and hurts to open more than that. It's not usually continuous and it's not usually thermally sensitive. If it doesn't hurt at all to open your mouth and if it's set off by hot or cold or biting then it's probably not the wisdom tooth that's doing it.

Thanks Gordon, I can open my mouth fine, although when I had the pain the other day it was very painful in my ear, neck and head?

Hard to say without looking, but maybe the wee bit of tooth that was exposed is decaying (almost impossible to keep them clean 'way back there...) and that's hurting. We'd need some x-rays to tell you more. :)

Thanks Gordon, I have my consultation appointment with the new nice dentist (hopefully!) On the 16th so I guess I am going to find out then! thanks for your help though

Back