• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Newbie - broken tooth and terrified

N

Nic&co

Hi all.

I’m not sure where to start as I’m not entirely sure where my fear of dentists has actually come from but it’s getting worse and now i have no choice but to face it due to a broken tooth.

Last time I went to the dentist I had a broken molar which was temporarily filled but I never went back and haven’t suffered any problems from that side since, last night the same tooth on the other side broke and is now digging in to my gum a lot worse than the 1st one did I fear it may need to be removed and just typing this is breaking me out in cold sweats, racing heart and tears.

I know I need a lot of work doing and the whole process is terrifying me to the point I struggle to eat and barley want to drink for fear of damaging my teeth further! It’s damaging my confidence, I hate having any photographs taken and I don’t smile because my teeth hold me back.

I’m not sure what I’m really looking for in terms of advice but nobody understands and my partner and children all have perfect teeth and regularly go to the dentist but I can’t bring myself to go.

Sorry for rambling it feels good getting it off my chest

Nic

Hi,

I also suffer very badly from anxiety and last Wednesday was my first dentist visit in 16 years for exactly that reason. I was only driven there by the greater fear of what my broken molar might be doing next after it started to get sensitive.

I'd quit going to the dentist 16 years ago with five appointments to go so I was sure that all these years later I'd need extractions, root canals, crowns, the works.

Turns out it's just 4 fillings. Even for the badly broken molar! I'm still stunned. The x-rays must have shown all those spots of decay I had seen were indeed just spots.

So the first thing I'd say to you is not to assume you know what you need. I did and I was completely wrong. You may need a lot less treatment than you think you do. :)

Also, tell the dentist you suffer badly from anxiety. As soon as I did, he was sympathetic and that calmed me a lot. Trying to hold it in always makes it worse.

And I specifically chose a dentist with a car park right next to them. The easier it feels that you can escape, the less likely you will want to.

If you really need it, dentists can give you sedatives you can take in the week leading up to the visit, then can use conscious sedation which will put you in a forgetful, dreamlike state (you will need a friend or family with you for this). They can get you through it, even if they have to get you high as a kite. I hope not to need this myself, but it's an option. At the moment I'm just taking the attitude that the next 20 minute appointment is a lot shorter than my worst ever panic attacks, so if I can get through that, I can get through this.

I'm going back again next week, no matter what. If it turns out I do need sedation, then that's just what's going to have to happen. I've had enough of the years of stress and worry and the hours of panic I've felt every time I think I've notice something else wrong with my teeth.

Last week, after another major freak-out, I kind of just snapped and said whatever happens, happens. I'm doing it. :cool:

I hope you also find something soon which works for you. :)

Hi Nic,

I assume that you have not been to the dentist for a long time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Can you please tell us what specific things you find difficult? What can make a dental appointment easier?

Hi dr Daniel.

No i haven’t been to the dentist properly for a few years now other than to have a broken tooth filled that my mum dragged me kicking and screaming to (i was 26 at the time and the fear goes way back past that) she literally pinned me in the chair to have it fixed which was a temporary measure but I haven’t been back and he said at the time i needed quite a few fillings at minimum then so I dread to think what is going to need doing now.

I have said all along the only way they will be able to do any work on my teeth is to put me under probably for their own safety more than mine I’m normally a quiet laid back mum of 4 yet take me to the dentist I’m a completely different person and I don’t know how to deal with it all. I want to be brave I want to be able to tell my kids I’ve done it but I just can’t. I have no idea what would make it easier other than knocking me out before i even step foot in the room!!! Sounds pretty bad coming from a mum of 4 that I can’t even face a simple thing like a dentist.