• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Newbie Here. IV Sedation booked for tomorrow at 11.30am. The calm before the storm (panic attack)

D

dutypaid

Newbie Here. IV Sedation booked for tomorrow at 11.30am. The calm before the storm (panic attack)

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, but have read your posts, trying to prepare myself for the day that is upon me tomorrow :shame:

I am scheduled to have 5 teeth removed :o (from the back - top/bottom - inclusive of two wisdom teeth) by IV sedation. I have cancelled, rescheduled (for the last two years) to try and avoid the inevitable, but feel as though I have to go through with it now, as I am in pain all the time :shame:

I have read the success stories and those have helped me to stay calm so far, but internally there is major panic that I fear will show once my name is called and I am to enter the room.

The fear is epic.

Re: Newbie Here. IV Sedation booked for tomorrow at 11.30am. The calm before the storm (panic atta

The hardest part is the anticipation so if you can get yourself in that chair you've done the hard part. IV sedation works great for almost everyone so try to relax.

What exactly are you afraid of? Have you discussed this with your dentist?

Re: Newbie Here. IV Sedation booked for tomorrow at 11.30am. The calm before the storm (panic atta

The hardest part is the anticipation so if you can get yourself in that chair you've done the hard part. IV sedation works great for almost everyone so try to relax.

Yeah the anticipation is serious. Thanks. I will try to relax. I am going ahead with it, even if paralysed with fear.

Had an awful dentist 6 years ago, plus I always wake up during proceedures in which IV is used. Has happened in 3 seperate ops.

I have discussed it with the surgeon who has reassured me that I wont remember a thing. The fear is inherent.

I too wake up during IV sedation so i understand how frustrating that can be. My dentist is trying a different mixture of medications on me next week but even of i wake up I'm way calmer than if i didn't do IV sedation.

I just went through it a few days ago. I had myself worked into a tizzy.

They put the IV in.. the RN said "I'm putting some medication in." I remember thinking, well, when's it kick in? The next thing I know, I was in my bed at home.

I vaguely remember being in a wheelchair and my husband putting me in bed.

Wonderful stuff.

It is totally OKAY if you show major panic or freak out or get upset or whatever when your name is called tomorrow. Please don't keep yourself up worrying about that part...they have seen it all before. Before I had my iv sedation appointment I read a bunch of posts on the dental question archive part of the site. There is a whole section only about sedation full of super positive experiences.

Good luck!

Awww thank you guys. I really appreciated the responses. I am ever so calm this morning - cant figure out why.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who wakes up when IV sedation is used and thanks for your kind words.

I will take all of the advice and experience on board and report back (hopefully) with successful news!

Thanks once again peeps.

Great forum :)

In the waiting room...

You've done the hardest part, just getting to the appointment. You're going to be fine and it'll soon be over. Best of luck. Let us know how it went.

It was an absolute disaster. I was numbed up well and sedated, but as soon as my teeth were being jabbed about with a tool for removal, the sedation was pretty pointless. I snapped out of it and began to remove the instruments that were in my mouth and threw them across the room.

Being referred for GA as we speak.

IV doesn'twork for all, inclusive of me.

I'm glad you pushed through your fear to give it a try and am very sorry it didnt work for you. I know how disappointing and frustrating it is. If it is any consolation, you're not alone. I was in your shoes two weeks ago and became "combative" I think was what he said...so 2 hours and who knows how many doses later no work was done. GA is my last resort and for a variety of reasons I haven't scheduled anything. Good for you for forging ahead!! I admire your courage and determination. I hope you'll come back and share how your GA appt goes after its done so the small percentage of is that fall outside the curve will know what to expect.

Hope you at least get a great nap at home today!

I'm glad you pushed through your fear to give it a try and am very sorry it didnt work for you. I know how disappointing and frustrating it is. If it is any consolation, you're not alone. I was in your shoes two weeks ago and became "combative" I think was what he said...so 2 hours and who knows how many doses later no work was done. GA is my last resort and for a variety of reasons I haven't scheduled anything. Good for you for forging ahead!! I admire your courage and determination. I hope you'll come back and share how your GA appt goes after its done so the small percentage of is that fall outside the curve will know what to expect.

Hope you at least get a great nap at home today!

Thanks Mugz. It was dissapointing but I am over it now. I actually am proud at the fact that I got into the dentists chair and went ahead with full intentions of having the work completed. Had a laugh with a few friends about it this afternoon and am so ready for the GA experience. Yes I became combative also. I think the word dangerous was also used. I can only laugh out of sheer bemusement at the whole situation. I did warn them numerous times throughout the consultation process that I dont do well with IV sedation, but no one listened to me. Hey ho.

No rest for me until bedtime as my toddler would destroy my home whilst I snooze ;D

I will definitely come back and report on a successful GA story! :)

Thanks once again.

What a bummer that the sedation didnt work but GA for sure will. Best of luck.

What a bummer that the sedation didnt work but GA for sure will. Best of luck.

Thanks klnor88. Yeah I knew sedation wouldnt work. I told them that repeatedly, even up to the point of them putting in the IV.

Just had word that the surgeon has put in the paperwork for me to have the procedure, again under IV sedation. I have contacted my dentist and have an appointment with him next week, to see if I can be referred elsewhere. This was Kings College Dental Hospital by the way.

More memories of the event have come back to me and it was not pretty. Playing havoc with my ptsd at present.

Hello All,

It has been a long time since I have posted, yet here I am. The night before my GA op to remove all wisdom teeth. I am again, eerily calm :(.

It has been a long road! And to think that all of my dental problems started when I took a liking to tropicana juice. Alas.....

I'll update once I am out and can function slightly.

All the best.

Hello All,

It has been a long time since I have posted, yet here I am. The night before my GA op to remove all wisdom teeth. I am again, eerily calm :(.

It has been a long road! And to think that all of my dental problems started when I took a liking to tropicana juice. Alas.....

I'll update once I am out and can function slightly.

All the best.

Feel free to post and vent as much as you need to. I have a journal that i've kept going for over a year here and its the only thing keeping me sane. I went through a pretty rough dental journal last year of deep cleaning, 2 rounds of 7 extractions(what was left of 10 regular teeth and 4 wisdoms) plus getting my upper and lower partials, and 2 fillings. and i've had nothing but partial problems since then(up until novemeber it was problems getting the things to fit, currently its eating problems w/ them). Venting here is the only thing keeping me sane.

I've gotta go to a dentist but very afraid. I'm hoping this site will give me courage.

Feel free to post and vent as much as you need to. I have a journal that i've kept going for over a year here and its the only thing keeping me sane. I went through a pretty rough dental journal last year of deep cleaning, 2 rounds of 7 extractions(what was left of 10 regular teeth and 4 wisdoms) plus getting my upper and lower partials, and 2 fillings. and i've had nothing but partial problems since then(up until novemeber it was problems getting the things to fit, currently its eating problems w/ them). Venting here is the only thing keeping me sane.

Hi ACN.

Yes this place is amazing for venting. It helps me to manage the fear. There is a massive benefit in talking to others who are going through something similar. Plus, reading other peoples experiences makes it somewhat less fearful.

I hope your troubles are shortly resolved x

I've gotta go to a dentist but very afraid. I'm hoping this site will give me courage.

Hi Robum,

This forum is definitely the place to be. Without it I wouldnt have got this far. The warm welcome and great advice really kept me going.

I hope you begin your journey soon and without fear, but with success x

Here. In the hospital. Currently have my designer hospital gown on. Spoke to the wonderful staff who have all been great. The doctor and the meds guy (cant remember spelling of anaesth..tist) were amazing. Because of my fear of needles they will knock me out with the mask and then give me the necessary injections. Everything has been explained in detail. Codeine, morphine paracetamol will all be given, alongside a local anaesthetic (to be given whilst sleeping).

This is the way I feel that works best for me.

Will update once I am out of the OR.