• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Newly Placed Permanent Crown EXTRACTION!? PLEASE HELP!

K

katylayney

To make a long story short I got a crown for a cracked filling 4 weeks ago, I knew something felt off because it hurt horribly for 3 weeks and killed when I got the permanent on..I even asked the dentist several times if it was ok to put the crown on considering I was in pain and I told him I had a hunch that it needed a root canal but he brushed me off and said it was normal...I knew it wasn't. I went to my husbands dentist for a second opinion, he checked my bite and he gave me an x-ray, he said I definitely needed a root canal. He referred me to an endodontist who I called and was informed that with sedation and root canal it will cost $2,660..UP FRONT. I absolutely can not afford that anytime soon and my dental insurance is completely maxed. The tooth is causing me constant pain, I can't even chew bread on it, it's so sensitive. There's no chance we could come up with that money even in 2 years..we are a family of 4 living off one income. I called the dentist and he isn't in til monday but the receptionist said she doesn't think he'll want to extract it seeing as the permanent was just placed. If I were to get it extracted how hard or painful would it be to remove the permanent crown? Also was the original dentist wrong to brush me off when I voiced my concern about a root canal? Should he have done an x-ray before he placed the crown? It's a very sketchy dental office and his reviews online are horrible...I found this out after I went. I'm just so frustrated.

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
Yes he should have done x rays and he should have made sure you weren't in so much pain before doing the crown. I think he saw the $$$$ I am presuming you are in the US.

Is there a dental hospital or training school that would see you they sometimes take on patients at much less cost than it would normally cost you. I think the dentist that you saw should pay for a rct to be done as he caused the discomfort you are in now by neglect. :butterfly:

I would write to the dentist you saw and see if he is prepared to correct this issue for you.