• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Next steps

S

SadieM

I went back to dentist so we could review X-rays and his findings for a treatment plan.
he said I have a narrow roof of mouth and my airway hard to see. I have been grinding my teeth (no idea) so many teeth are messed up. I do snore so I may have apnea. My crowns need to be removed so he can asses the damage and save what teeth he can. He says he can save many of my teeth. He recommended deep cleanings and extractions to start and may need root canals. A few teeth in back have infection and or bone loss. I need two or three back teeth removed. He will need to remove my bottom loose front tooth and the one next to it. He said the surrounding teeth he thinks will be ok with deep cleaning regularly. He can place removable tooth or teeth on front bottom ( it has a wire attached that will connect to other teeth). Unsure of candidate for implant due to bone loss . Will get a better X-ray to see . He said he thinks when they go to deep clean the tooth will just fall out. He doesn’t think I need full mouth dentures. He also said I will need deeper sedation then oral due to my phobia.
I’m relieved there is help but so embarrassed.

Hi SadieM,

it‘s nice to see how you are moving forward, please give yourself a huge pat on the back! So many people who see a dentist after a while and need some treatment feel embarrassed, but there really is no reason to. If you haven‘t read this article about embarrassment, you may want to take a look and see how common feelings like this is. You are very brave, moving step by step, facing your fears and doing it despite how scary this is. Sounds like there were some good news as well and your dentist can save some teeth. When is your next appointment?

All the best wishes

Dentist needs time to go over plan in more detail. He will call me in a few days. I don’t know if saving the teeth is going to be more expensive then denture or implant. My periodontal disease is very bad so dentist isn’t sure there is enough bone left.

Back