• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

NHS adult orthodontics

G

Former Member
How does someone qualify for NHS adult orthodontics? I suppose my teeth arent in too bad condition but I have two reasonably large front teeth that stick out a lot whenever I talk which really affects my confidence (even tho I have just found my first serious girlfriend who I adore and love to bits), maybe this issue isnt too serious and should just be categorised as a 'cosmetic' case and I'll have to go private, how do I go about getting a brace? Do I just ask my dentist for one or will they just refer me to the orthodontist without me even having to ask? I'm 24 who's been a patient at a NHS dental practice in Telford (which has a orthodontic surgery apparently) for just over a year. Also how do NHS prices compare to private on orthodontics?

Thanks!

Ask your dentist for a referral to the orthodontist. NHS will be a lot cheaper than private but I don't know if the orthodontist will accept you as an NHS patient.
Mike could probably give you a better answer since he's more up to date with NHS regs than I am.

Hi,
If you are NHS exempt (eg get JSA, income support, tax credits etc.) then you would qualify for free orthodontics also, regardless of age. If you pay for your NHS dental treatment then you would have to pay a contribution towards your orthodontic treatment although I don't know how much this would be. Privately it can cost a few thousand pounds. :censored:
Ask your dentist to refer you and find out what you would qualify for and what could be done! An alternative is to ask to be referred to a hospital orthodontist (eg in a dental hospital) as you would not have to pay for this, although you may have to wait longer (sometimes up to or over a year).
Hope this helps,
Mike ;D

Back