• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

NHS or private? Advice please

L

Loo44

My NHS dentist is getting fed up with me. I have lots of dental issues resulting in only having 19 teeth left, mostly all crowned. I have no back teeth top or bottom. I've had a pituitary tumour and lack growth hormone, not sure if this is why my teeth are so bad. I've got 2 molars next to incisor - one recently had root canal. I'm in pain, but dentist cannot locate which tooth is hurting. X-ray shows nothing. Am on amoxicillin and metronidazole. Have a chance to see a private dentist who would take me on full time (without paying private fees - practice has to take some NHS patients and I'm lucky enough to be one of them). Not sure what to do, stick with the dentist who knows me and my issues, or give the private practice a try. Don't think I can be registered at two practices. Any advice please? Thank you.

If you can go private without fees do it and do it now!

Tell them your history though and any fears - exactly what those fears are and why they came about - it's crucial! If the private dentist listens and understands - he or she is the one for you.

Be vocal, be nervous - then go to your doc for diazepam - it's very common to get folk through appointments. I use it - just very recently - it's incredible!
Faith in my new dentist (because I was so very open) and something to calm me massively helped with a load of work I have just had done.

Would agree with the above poster, if you can get an NHS space with a Private dentist go and see what they are like. I know they can all be variable but my own dentist is private and he is brilliant, the People who took over my old dentists practice weren't brilliant and Mike has restored my faith in the profession and then some!

I would book an initial consultation or go and meet the dentist to get a feel for what they are like.

It might seem daunting moving dentists but it's the best decision I ever made.

Back