• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

NHS records

M

melin

Hello all,

I'm sorry about this trivial question, but didn't know where to post it. I just want to ask if, when you change from an NHS to a private dentist, whether or not your NHS records follow you there/are accessible to the private dentist? I never know how if need to pass on all that info, and didn't occur to me to ask when I was at my last appointment.

Many thanks

I don't think your notes do automatically follow you, but you can ask your NHS dental practice to send a copy to your new practice if your new dentist wants to see your previous notes. The NHS practice might make a charge for this, but if they do, it shouldn't be too high.

I changed practices 2 or 3 years ago now and I didn't ask for my notes from the previous NHS practice to be sent to the new private dentist. I have since requested a copy of my notes from my old NHS practice for me to read, because I suspected that they were being less than truthful regarding my treatment and what they were doing for me (...and it turned out that my suspicions were correct, which is why I changed practices!!). Because my notes were electronic, they charged £10 to print a copy for me. If I wanted copies of the x-rays, they told me it would be £6 per film. The charges depend on whether your notes are electronic or paper based or a mixture of both, but if they do charge you for copying them, it shouldn't be any more than £50 if they're paper based records or £10 if they're electronic records (there are limits on what they can charge you depending on the type of records, according to the Data Protection Act).

When you go for your first appointment with a new dentist, they usually do quite a thorough initial examination including taking x-rays if required, so that they can make their own notes about your teeth based on what they find when they see you, plus any information you give them. If your new dentist has a copy of your notes from your previous practice, then they will be able to see all the treatment you've had before, but I don't think it's absolutely essential that they have your old notes (although I may be wrong!!) because they form their own opinion/diagnosis based on what they find when they see you.

Thank you! I had thought this, that the dentist can find out pretty much what has gone on through examination/xrays, unlike with medical history and records.

Thanks for the reply :)

Back