• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

nightmare private dentist ruined my teeth

S

sas35

In 2007 I had a couple of NHS veneers on my two front teeth. They kept coming out so in 2010 I decided to go private. The dentist said I needed crowns even though I didn't and he shaved my 4 front teeth into tiny little stumps.

Between 2010-2016, the crowns have fell out about 4 times. Last year one came out on my front left teeth so my NHS dentist recemented it back in but 2 weeks later it came out so she made a new crown which lasted just over a year. I swallowed it whilst eating nachos.

3 weeks ago just after the crown came out I made an emergency appointment with my dentist who put in a temporary which came out an hour later but I can still fit it back in my mouth without glue. It's gone all brown and I have to cover my mouth whilst speaking. The structure underneath has gone brown too.

My next appointment is tomorrow to have the new NHS crown fitted, but I'm thinking of having all front four crowns removed, teeth extracted and having dental implants put in. There's an Indian clinic in London which only charges £199 per implant.

I made a big mistake switching from the NHS to see that private dentist who has ruined my teeth, one of them was fine but he grinded it down to a little peg along with 3 others to fit crowns in.

If I could turn back time I would have never had it done, I should have stayed with the NHS who only shaved a tiny bit of my tooth structure off to make veneers but this dentist ruined my natural teeth by shaving them into stumps and the crowns keep falling out and it's very embarrassing!!

If I have implants put in will they last long? This issue is really depressing me. I start a new job next month and I'm afraid of them falling out.

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
https://dcs.gdc-uk.org/ I would suggest you make a formal complaint against the private dentist concerned as part of this system for private complaints can involve your being refunded for failed treatment. NB Has to be raised within 12 month of treatment failing.

If you are outside this timescale, you could consider raising a concern with GDC in normal way: https://www.gdc-uk.org/patients/raising-a-concern

I would be very wary of going just anywhere to obtain an implant particularly at £199. That is a ridiculously low price. Even a straightforward (plenty of bone) single implant crown tooth is likely to cost in excess of £2,000 somewhere reputable, safe and hygienic in London.

NHS or private it is the dentist's competence that matters most.

Good luck.

Last edited:
G

gentledental

Verified dentist
In 2007 I had a couple of NHS veneers on my two front teeth. They kept coming out so in 2010 I decided to go private. The dentist said I needed crowns even though I didn't and he shaved my 4 front teeth into tiny little stumps.

Between 2010-2016, the crowns have fell out about 4 times. Last year one came out on my front left teeth so my NHS dentist recemented it back in but 2 weeks later it came out so she made a new crown which lasted just over a year. I swallowed it whilst eating nachos.

3 weeks ago just after the crown came out I made an emergency appointment with my dentist who put in a temporary which came out an hour later but I can still fit it back in my mouth without glue. It's gone all brown and I have to cover my mouth whilst speaking. The structure underneath has gone brown too.

My next appointment is tomorrow to have the new NHS crown fitted, but I'm thinking of having all front four crowns removed, teeth extracted and having dental implants put in. There's an Indian clinic in London which only charges £199 per implant.

I made a big mistake switching from the NHS to see that private dentist who has ruined my teeth, one of them was fine but he grinded it down to a little peg along with 3 others to fit crowns in.

If I could turn back time I would have never had it done, I should have stayed with the NHS who only shaved a tiny bit of my tooth structure off to make veneers but this dentist ruined my natural teeth by shaving them into stumps and the crowns keep falling out and it's very embarrassing!!

If I have implants put in will they last long? This issue is really depressing me. I start a new job next month and I'm afraid of them falling out.
If you're unhappy with the service provided by the private dentist then I would discuss this in detail with your dentist first for a resolution. If this does not work then I would follow the practice's complaint procedure if you wish to take this further..... i.e. refund etc...

£199 for an implant is almost impossible, so I wonder what the catch is.... Costs at least £800 in materials and this is without paying my staff!!