• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nitrous Not so Nice

D

drummerswife

Hi everybody,
As most of you know, I was scheduled for my last appoinrment with Dr. Katie this afternoon. It was to do the peridontal cleaning on the lower right half of my mouth as this didnt get done before my oral surgery. DR. Katie and I had decided to try nitrous oxide instead of the usual heavy dose of Valium.
This was a really big step for me but I felt like my trust in Dr. Katie has grown to the point I could try this.
Well, things didnt go as planned. I got to the office and Dr. Katie came and got me and took me back to a different room than the one I'm usually in because she said not sall the rooms had nitrous. So, she hooked me up and told ne to lay back in the chair and relax and breathe through my nose as my favorite Josh Groban played in my ears.
I wasnt sure what to expect becaiuse I have never had nitrous before so I laid there and after several minutes I felt this major wave of nausea come over me and I felt like I was going to vomit.
I pulled the mask off my face and Dr. Katie asked "Whats wrong honey?" I told her I was feeling really sick and she nodded saying "Oh, dear, that happens to some people. That means we cant use nitrous on you"
At that moment, I had to make a choice. I had gone to the office completely un medicated because we going to use the nitrous and now we clearly could not. Do I forge ahead with just LA or do I re-schedule so I can have Valium on board?
Dr. Katie said "Whar do you want to do?"
I decided at that moment to rely upon the feeling of safety and trust I have developed in Dr. Katie and forge ahead. I told dR. Katie "I tirust you. I think I can do this if you promise to make sure I dont feel anything" She smiled and patted my shoulder "You got it. We will take it in very slow baby steps and very gently and carefully"
And thats what we did.
I cant believe I had dental work done with NO SEDATION AT ALL!!
When we were done Dr Katie gave me a big hug and said "You did it! I''m so proud of you!"

I am so proud of you! You took a situation that wasn't going to work and made it work! This is a huge step and something you couldn't have done a while back. That in itself is so HUGE! You should be so proud of yourself and deserve to celebrate!

Great job!

:respect::jump::yay:And heck all the other positive, celebrating cute smiley icons, too. :) You certainly did do it, Drummerswife and I think it's safe to say the last of the :devilish:'s of your past dental fear are now gone forever. Good for you and well done. I hope you do some celebrating!

Mona

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! and oh, my gosh you should have seen the look on my hisband's face when I told him what I had done.
I still cant believe I did that! And no way would I have been able to do that just a few months ago.
And I feel like I have to give some credit to DR. Katie for her adaptability in a pinch.

Your husband must have been so shocked!! haha Good way to keep him guessing about you!!

It does help when you have a great dentist who is so calm, patient, and filled with other immediate options.

:jump:Good for you!

There is nothing quite like that "OMG...I DID IT!!!!!" feeling, is there? After my extraction a few weeks ago I went straight to the pharmacy to get a prescription filled before going home and the woman there took one look at me and said, "Oh no, dental work!"

"But it's DONE!" was my reply. And I'd done it without sedation or anything. It was an awesome feeling; it was over, it wasn't as bad as I'd feared, and the worry I'd had for months was suddenly GONE.

Enjoy this. You did GREAT!!! :yay:

You are so right, Distant Star!
This is the type of situation that could have made me panic. It was the very first time I have ever gone to have dental work without being medicated and this would have been brave enough but then to discover nitrous doesnt work on me. Yikes!
And this was defintely an OMG moment if ever there was one because I did not panic. Instead, I sat there quite calmly in the chair and decided to forge ahead with just LA. I am really amazed at myself.
And thogh I di not discount my own courage, I have to say that this is a shinning example of the value of having a dentist that makes you feel safe, someone you know you can trust.

Sorry to hear nitrous did not work out for you, but the fact that you got through it without it and proved to yourself you can beat your fear is great.:cheers: congrats

Thanks Mikey! I certainly wasnt expecting to have a reaction to the nitrous and I am still amazed at myself but, like Stress Doc so wisely pointed out, it was really a blessing in disguise because it gave the chance to know how strong I have really become.

Back