• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nitrous oxide and Vitamin B12 deficiency/Pernicious anaemia

M

Moglet

Hello,

I hope it's ok to post this here.

I have vitamin B12 deficiency and receive injections of B12. I read through the information on this site about nitrous oxide and it doesn't mention that if you have a vitamin B12 deficiency and receive injections, nitrous oxide is contraindicated because the gas inactivates the B12 in your blood so that your body can't use it. This can make you very sick quite quickly. The government has produced a health warning for clinicians but not many are aware of the interaction. It only applies to people who have a problem with absorbing B12 from their diet, most people have a good store of B12 in their liver.

I would post a link but I don't know how to yet!

Hi Moglet, thank you very much for pointing this out - we will amend this information asap!

Because I found this fact so interesting, I did a google and can provide the link below. So interesting and thanks, Moglet, for brining this to our attention.

[broken link removed]

Yes Vitamin b-12 gets consumed by use of nitrous oxide. Chronic abusive type use has resulted in numerous cases of nerve conduction problems. The actual incidence of patients suffering from an acute deficiency associated with nitrous oxide use in healthcare is very very low. There have been reported cases in the literature but the ones that I have read about have been a single person and not any large pool.
So don't be alarmed unless you have an unusually high risk like the poster.

Thanks everyone, we have added this contraindication to the inhalation sedation page :) (hopefully it was OK to copy and paste from your post, Moglet?)

Thanks, yes it's fine. I haven't been on here (trying not to think about teeth at all, haha) but having dental issues again so here I am! I hope the nitrous oxide information will be useful for members.

Back