• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nitrous oxide experience

Susanne

Susanne

For those of you who've had nitrous oxide during a dental procedure, what was the experience like for you? How quickly did you notice an effect and what did it make you feel like? I had it a couple of times as a child/teenager, but don't remember it doing anything to me other than making my legs feel very heavy.

I have had it numerous times over the past year. It was different at the endodontist than at the oral surgeon. The endodontist cranked it up pretty high for the root canal I had done. It was my first nitrous experience and I didn't know what to expect. I guess it was a little too high, because I was almost completely out of it. I could hear the endodontist and her assistant talking but it was like little blips and unless I tuned in, I really couldn't follow along. I didn't feel a thing, but didn't like not being as aware. I mentioned it and for the following appointment (she couldn't get all the canals at the first one), she turned it down a bit. That was much better. I felt drowsy. I felt the heavy legs like you said, but kind of felt inbetween wakefulness and sleep, like when you are dozing. I was relaxed.

At the oral surgeon's office, for the first extraction, he had it pretty low, and I kept waiting for it to take effect. I just felt a little sleepy and the heavy legs, but not relaxed at all. He came in and asked how the gas was working and I said I couldn't really feel it. He turned it up a bit and then I was able to relax.

He also told me to give the thumbs up or down to turn it up or down during surgery, which helped me feel better about it.

For those of you who've had nitrous oxide during a dental procedure, what was the experience like for you? How quickly did you notice an effect and what did it make you feel like? I had it a couple of times as a child/teenager, but don't remember it doing anything to me other than making my legs feel very heavy.
Nitrous is so very relaxing. I'll accept it whenever it is offered. It makes me feel light headed and without a care in the world- i'd agree to almost anything, I think!

My experience with it wasn't very good, unfortunately. I remember a feeling like I was floating away, which I didn't like. I think I was relaxed of course, but all I remember for the most part is that weird feeling, and prior to that, my childhood dentist forcing the mask on me against my will and it was very traumatic. :(

I think my experience is pretty unusual, though, but I think it also reminded me of the feeling of panic attacks so that's why I don't like it.

(And fellow jay avatar!) :cool:

I love nitrous. I haven't had it for decades, because I can't afford it, but when it used to be covered by my insurance, it really helped with my fear of all things dental.

PinyonJay2,

"my childhood dentist forcing the mask on me against my will and it was very traumatic. :( "

I had that experience too as a child between 10-15 , it was quite awful to say the very least , I won't say anymore ,and for that I have never opted for Nitrous , even the mention of it makes me want to run the other way . Well. I know many on here have had good experiences and a previous dentist of mine was talking to me about it, and I think once one has gained alot of trust with a specific dentist and know they are safe and listened to and know they would respect your stop sign if you felt too weird.. I think I would try it at my dentist right now because I trust them and so many have had positive experiences. I have talked to my dentist briefly of my past experience and he understands .

If you force anything on someone you can expect a lasting negative result

Back