• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nitrous oxide

E

ellsta

I was reading about Nitrous oxide and how safe it was .
Many years ago, my daughter had nitrous oxide and the dentist called me and asked if I could come to where she was .
She was married and lived in another city,but close by ,
was acting very odd and her husband and I took her home .
She wanted to stop at the drug store and we did .
She said "Mommy buy me this and buy me that" and so on and ran around the store .
She had not called me Mommy since she was 5 years old .
We called the dentist and told him what was happening and he asked if she was a vegetarian and I said yes .
He said I just read yesterday in a journal where vegetarians low in B12 could have this happen .
He asked us to come back and he gave her a shot of B12 and asked us to watch her .
We took her home and she went to sleep and awoke not to remember any of this .
She has never remembered .

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm a vegetarian (almost 7 yrs now) and didn't have any weird reactions to nitrous when I had it. No warnings either.

Probably not. But it'll give me incentive to take my vitamins. ;)

I have to second your comment about Nitrous Oxide it has helped me get through treatments that I would have never considered. I also have to take Xanax to get in the chair, but he Nitrous dulls my phobia a bit and makes time go by faster. I even use it for cleanings. I am fortunate enough to have a dentist that cares so much about his patients that he doesn't charge for it. I only wish that it would be a concentrated as it was when I was young. I find that I have to concentrate really hard on breathing through my nose to get the effect I need. When I was younger it seemed like I didn't have to do that at all. I would encourage anyone with fears to at least try it. It does help most patients. Reno

Back