• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

No Dentist appointments in 27 years

• Thread starter Scared stiff 2018
  • Start date
S

Scared stiff 2018

It’s almost 9:00 am on Wednesday 12/06/2017....I have a consultation with the oral surgeon at 2:15 EST. I’m scared out of my mind. Feel my heart pounding, my stomach is tore up. I just want to run away. I keep asking myself why my Parents didn’t take better care of myself . From the age of birth to 19 ( when I graduated from high School) they took me to the dentist twice. The 1st time I was around 10 it was a free Dentist the 2nd time was the $10.00 dentist. He gutted out a LOT of my teeth and now I’m going to have to have 9 of them pulled. My Hubby and Son have been so supportive toward me but that’s doesn’t take away the fear. From having my teeth gutted with no novocaine to being yeled at when I flintched from the pain. To being spanked when I cried at the dentist when I was 10. To telling my maprents at 16 what he was doing to my teeth to hearing “if your not happy with him you can find your own dentist and pay for it yourself”.....,..I keep telling my Hubby “they were suppose to take better care of me”

I madbit through theboral surgeons appointment my hibby and Son both went with me for support . I was crying like a big baby and they got the surgeon. He cane and saw me next He was so nice. He saw I was holding my rosary next thing we knew he was holding my rosary and we were talking about our faith different parishes . I’m Catholic and he own Greek Orthodox. I’m totally relaxed about the surgery . He wanted it done ASAP,so I was able to pick my date 12/18/17. That’s great because I’m already off from 12/22/17—01/02/18. Now I’m extending my vacation from I get off early on 12-15/17 and won’t be back to work until 01/02/18. Plenty of time to heal. He said I can get a partial or implants. I’m scared of implants I asked if I can get a partial now and do implants later if I want and he said yes. My Hubby is oil me out for Mexican and said baby the wk end before surgery I’m going to take you out to every steak house. I’m so truly blessed with this man.He told me how proud he was of me several time . The surgeon told me that a lot of people in my age bracket are just like me. I’m now excited to get thei done,the girls couldn’t believe how good my teeth looked for not going to the dentist for over 27 years. I told them I use old tiny Pepsodent tooth paste,they were shocked. I’m going to make it .......

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you have almost found your 'pot of gold at the end of the rainbow'. As I well know dental fear is destructive physically and psychologically. It's such a shame that we have to put ourselves through all the worry, anxiety and depression associated with this irrational fear. However, you are almost there now and on your way to a better life. I hope you are very proud of how far you have come and I wish you well with your surgery and new teeth.

Best Wishes

It’s Tuesday and I get the 7 teeth removed in 6 Days. My anxiety is getting worse the closer I get to my appointment. I’m blessed to have a Hisband that is putting up with my mood and tons of tears. I have bought enough jello,pudding,soup,cottage cheese,ice cream,apple sauce,yogurt and yogurt drinks to last me a month ....I don’t know what I was thinking I guess it makes me feel better knowing I’ll have plenty in the house. I’m worried about having something on my stomach when I need to take something for pain. Weather or not I’ll be able to get anything down me. I think I’m pretty much worrying about everything. I just need this over with and now. I’m so scared......so very scared. !!!!!

It is scary but it will be so worth it! Your husband is right, you should be so proud of yourself because you are facing something that will be difficult for you, but will also be good for you.

All I can say is good luck, I hope it goes smoothly and that it will give you a new lease of life. :clover::)

Keep us updated!

It’s almost 9:00 am on Wednesday 12/06/2017....I have a consultation with the oral surgeon at 2:15 EST. I’m scared out of my mind. Feel my heart pounding, my stomach is tore up. I just want to run away. I keep asking myself why my Parents didn’t take better care of myself . From the age of birth to 19 ( when I graduated from high School) they took me to the dentist twice. The 1st time I was around 10 it was a free Dentist the 2nd time was the $10.00 dentist. He gutted out a LOT of my teeth and now I’m going to have to have 9 of them pulled. My Hubby and Son have been so supportive toward me but that’s doesn’t take away the fear. From having my teeth gutted with no novocaine to being yeled at when I flintched from the pain. To being spanked when I cried at the dentist when I was 10. To telling my maprents at 16 what he was doing to my teeth to hearing “if your not happy with him you can find your own dentist and pay for it yourself”.....,..I keep telling my Hubby “they were suppose to take better care of me”

I had an almost identical situation with my parents.. i was taken to the dentist once and now have to get partials. Thanks for sharing your story!! any update on how you are feeling now?

Back