• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

No feeling after wisdom removal

G

Former Member
I had my wisdom tooth removed. :cry: Now 30hrs later I still have no feeling in my lip,chin or teeth on that side of my mouth. :( now I am scared that the feeling won't return. Will it? How long does an injection take to wear off????? :scared: :scared: :scared:

Hi there :welcome:

The injection would have worn off a while ago, it sounds more like the inferior alveolar nerve might have got a bit "bruised". That's the nerve which runs in the area of the lower wisdom teeth and continues to the chin and lips. The numb feeling is called paresthesia. It is not unusual after extractions, but not very common either. If the roots of the wisdom tooth sort of "wrap around" the nerve, it's more likely for this to happen.

The paresthesia may disappear within the next few days, but on rare occasions it can take as long as 3-6 months to resolve :(. It's very annoying, but it should go away eventually.

You shouldn't be overly concerned this soon after surgery, but you should let your dentist and/or oral surgeon know about it.

I hope the numbness will go away soon :) - best of luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back