• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

No really? that was a deep cleaning??

S

smyi2

So I had a deep cleaning this morning. I was on Valium during the procedure but I do remember everything. They put some pink gel on the left side of the mouth (on my top and bottom gums). The dentist came in and started on the right side (oops!). I guess she didn't realize the assistant didn't numb the right side!

Anyhow, the dentist used a spray to numb the right side. I heard some scraping noise. It wasn't on every tooth, but more like the inside near the tongue of maybe 8 tooths?

Afterward, the assistant came back in and polished my teeth.They said I have to come back in 2 weeks to finsh the deep cleaning..

Well my QUESTION is, they said it was a deep cleaning but it left more like a regular cleaning(even tho I never had a regular cleaning!). How long before my gums start to turn pink? As of now, they look exactly the same as before the deep cleaning!

Im at home now and i feel no pain. i noticed a little bleeding under 3 of my tooths. Also, some yellow between a few of my front teeth are still there and my gums look exactly the same... Is this normal??

Last edited:
How long did it take to do the teeth, and how much did they charge you?

This might shed some light on the difference...a (deep) cleaning is going to vary from person to person depending on the level of tartar build-up.

How long did it take to do the teeth, and how much did they charge you?

It took about 30 mins for the dentist and then the assistant polished. They said they were charging 160 a quadrant. I think they only did two quadrants? Because they set me up for anther appointment in two weeks. I feel like they did the right side more. my teeth are not horrible but I didn have buildup behind my front two teeth which they cleaned up. Im confused....

That doesn't sound right. I'm going to have the same procedure in January. The total cost will be $1,120.00. The procedure for the entire mouth will take 3 hours done in two hour-and-a-half sessions.

My research indicates that each tooth should be treated.

I personally think it's more like hashing semantics when one refers to a "deep" cleaning versus a "regular" cleaning. I mean, really, when does the deep part begin? :rolleyes: What if one part of the mouth has normal, healthy pockets, and only a couple of spots have deeper pockets? Is that a deep regular cleaning? :confused: I suppose a "regular" cleaning might refer more to a routine cleaning, but that could still involve cleaning out some really deep spots.

I think the take home message is that as long as the teeth are completely cleaned down to the depth of the gum pockets leaving tartar and plaque free smooth tooth surfaces I would call that "clean!" Most dentists charge units of time for cleanings, and they usually are in fifteen minute blocks charged at whatever rate. So a half an hour of cleaning might be 15 minutes per quadrant leaving two quadrants remaining.

Depending on your home care and level of health among other factors, the gums can take a week or more to start getting back to health. Red swollen areas should gradually subside over time.

As Brit mentioned, everyone is different. Compare it to cleaning a house. Does it take the same amount of time to clean everyone's house? It might take Brit 10 minutes to clean her immaculately kept residence while it could take months to clean Zzzdentist's horrible house of horrors! :redface:

I personally think it's more like hashing semantics when one refers to a "deep" cleaning versus a "regular" cleaning. I mean, really, when does the deep part begin? :rolleyes: What if one part of the mouth has normal, healthy pockets, and only a couple of spots have deeper pockets? Is that a deep regular cleaning? :confused: I suppose a "regular" cleaning might refer more to a routine cleaning, but that could still involve cleaning out some really deep spots.

I think the take home message is that as long as the teeth are completely cleaned down to the depth of the gum pockets leaving tartar and plaque free smooth tooth surfaces I would call that "clean!" Most dentists charge units of time for cleanings, and they usually are in fifteen minute blocks charged at whatever rate. So a half an hour of cleaning might be 15 minutes per quadrant leaving two quadrants remaining.

Depending on your home care and level of health among other factors, the gums can take a week or more to start getting back to health. Red swollen areas should gradually subside over time.

As Brit mentioned, everyone is different. Compare it to cleaning a house. Does it take the same amount of time to clean everyone's house? It might take Brit 10 minutes to clean her immaculately kept residence while it could take months to clean Zzzdentist's horrible house of horrors! :redface:

Well my teeth are not bad... I do have red gums, they dont bleed easily or inflammed... Besides being a little yellow between my teeth, they seem okay... but I can tell I do have gingivitis because I see small areas of purple in my gums. I'm looking into the right side of where they cleaned and it looks exactly the same as before. the only difference is that they cleaned the green tartar off the bottom two teeth.. I want clean pink gums! I feel like the "deep cleaning" isn't working....... :/

Last edited:
So i guess what im asking is, can a deep cleaning turn gums back to the healthy "pink" color.....? is there anything I can do at home to help this process besides the regular brush and floss?

In short, yes it is possible. Give it some more time like longer than a day. Closer to a week or so. Brush and floss regularly. You can try rinsing with some chlorhexidine or Listerine if you'd like to see if that helps.

Listerine contains eucalyptus, which can irritate the gums. "C" stains the teeth.

Listerine contains eucalyptus, which can irritate the gums. "C" stains the teeth.

Chlorhexidine should only be used short-term such as when your gums are inflamed..so as in this case totally appropriate. Personally never use listerine because of the alcohol being an irritant.

A much gentler non-stinging mouthwash available on UK market at least is Dentyl - I only use occasionally though.

Last edited:
I used C on a short term basis, giving it up when I looked it up and discovered that one of the disadvantages is tooth staining.

Arg! The right side(where they did the deep cleaning) on the gums and teeth are becoming more sore and irritated... I have a little itchy feeling on part of my gums.... :(

I forgot to mention that you could also try rinsing with a bit of salt in some warm water as that can help reduce the bacteria counts. If the situation is getting worse, you could contact your dental office to see what they advise.

deep cleaning wasn't that scary as I imagined

Hi,

I had my deep cleaning done on the lower quadrant. I was numbed pretty well so I couldn't feel anything but the sound from scraping was annoying and hence I listened to the music throughout the session. That helped. After deep cleaning my teeths look really clean and healthy. I am still numbed so I am not sure about the after pain. Just waiting to see the extent of pain I might have. But altogether it wasn't a bad experience.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I think any after pain should be managed with pain meds you may have in already. It shouldn't be too bad but may feel a bit sore for a couple of days. :butterfly: