• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

none

L

lonely

Isnt it madness how we are alll terrified of showing the dentist our teeth, yet we have to go to the shops, work, school etc where our teeth are on show. Fears are so silly. Wish i could ban them! :)

Moderator of fears is the only person with a 'Ban Hammer' capable of such tasks, if I every become a mod here I will make myself a title something like that....it would be funny:p

Yes, but when we go about our daily lives, although our teeth are on show as you rightly say, we all kid ourselves that no-one but ourselves can really see the state of them. In all the years I thought I was the only one who knew how bad my teeth were, it was only when I made my first dentist appt and started speaking about it that it turned out my family knew all along my teeth needed treatment. For 40 years I thought I had that secret to myself. Now I think, my goodness, if I'd known that everyone else knew, why on earth didn't someone say something to me, but of course they didn't want to embarrass me.

I on the other hand am just the opposite. No one can/could see my problems. I've always had fairly straight/white teeth and none of the problems I had going on in the back were visible from the front. I can imagine that if I would have let my fears go much longer than more people would have become aware of what was going on.

Before I had my teeth sorted out, I always thought everyone else's were at least healthy - that I was the only one. Although like a previous poster, all the 'obvious' problems were right at the back and my teeth generally looked white (oddly, before whitening was available, people would often asked me how I had such nice white teeth! In all those years I was a dentist dodger!)

But in the 2 weeks since I had my treatment, have already noticed that I didn't look as closely as I thought as Now I'm seeing I was never alone, just thought I was. Went to a thing this weekend with loads of people I see several times a year and not only was my own confidence transformed, but also this strange effect that people I always thought of as having much nicer teeth than me, actually have problems I somehow didn't spot, before. Anyone else have that phenomenon?

I've noticed that as soon as I mention that I need work done (I force myself to say it outloud at least once a day.....) someone tells me the horrors going on in their own mouths. The receptionist at my son's ORTHO showed me a broken bridge in the back of her mouth and said the pain was unbearable at times, but she still hasn't went in!!!!! So, strange you would mention it and yes! I've noticed too!

I look at people's teeth and it worries me later that they noticed I was staring at their mouths and didn't look them in the eye. Oh, the things I've noticed!
::redface:

Back