• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not a clue

E

Em Jay

Just typed in to search engine ‘what to expect when not been to dentist in 35 yrs’. Never even dared to type such a thing before or even type the word ‘teeth’. I guess I’m on the first rung of the ladder. I know I’m lucky with my teeth. Coupe of fillings when I was a kid but that’s it. Had a hole in my tooth for about 5 years now- No pain. No tooth ache. Never had growths or anything. However I know they are brown at the back from smoking. And also hard plaque is hanging over my gums.(I think that’s what it is). And my teeth dont feel as ‘tight’ if that makes sense and they are sensitive.. See... I literally have NO idea. But I think that’s bad so I’m ready to go to the dentist as I don’t want to wait until something drastic happens. I can’t be like ‘if it ain’t broke...’ anymore. I can’t believe I’m even writing this I’m so terrified. I imagine big needles and the worst pain. And them making problems when there wasn’t problems, or telling me I need work when I don’t, to rip me off like kwikfit. I simply have no idea what to expect- or what can be done if they find I have terrible things going on. Bit of encouragement would be useful! Thanks!

:welcome:
Em Jay,

Welcome to DFC! You are in the right place ! And its such a huge step to start even looking this up then writing here.. so hope you give yourself alot of credit! You will get alot of support here as you go through different parts of your journey. Its great you are thinking of going back and taking care of yourself and your teeth, you are so worth it. The great thing is you are in control and you can choose the right dentist who is good and kind . Someone who will help you understand the journey at your level and comfort taking one step at a time. Thats all you need to do take a step at a time.

Do you have an idea of a dentist you will go to? have you done any looking at websites. FB pages looking to see if they are anxious friendly.?

Thank you that’s a very kind reply!
No, I have no idea where I will go and have not looked for anything. I had a leaflet through the door advertising the practice called ‘gentle dental’!! - think it’s a change in name to get more custom and a bit gimmicky...but I’ll take a look I suppose! See how cynical I am. More fool me though!

I know for me when I was trying to find a place when my previous dentist left his practice, I fb'ed clinics that seemed anxious friendly and asked them how they helped anxious patients. You can get a really good idea about them if and how they answer :).

Hi Em Jay,
@krlovesherkids777 has covered most everything already but I also wanted to extend a warm welcome to you! :grouphug: I think it is okay to be picky and bit skeptical when choosing a dentist...you deserve the very best care and should never settle for less! Dentistry has come a long way over the past 35 years and treatments are able to be carried out painlessly (sometimes very small needles are involved but even those can be painless with a good dentist). I would suggest doing a little research to see what is in your area and maybe narrow down a list of potential options. We have a section on the forum where other members have recommended their dentists so I would definitely take a look there and see if there are any near you. You have taken a huge first step by posting here! Let us know how we can help you and we will support you in anyway that we can!

Back