• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not a great start

D

Dbop

At the age of 42 and no dental visits since having root canal at 13 I decided it was time to face my fears. I suspect I need maybe 10 teeth extracting and some dentures. I emailed a local dentist asking for advice but the reply was confusing so I decided to pop in after sitting in the car park for 1 hour. The receptionist was busy and rude, just pointed to the private treatment leaflet with prices. I then called the nhs help line who were very pleasant and understanding but unfortunately couldn't answer my question and advised I contact a local dentist for th answer. I have contacted 3 dentists now and feel that the receptionist are abrupt and nearly shouting. I'm not giving up yet and may try again soon.

Hi Dbop :welcome:, really sorry to hear that you've had such bad luck with your search so far, after working up so much courage. Hopefully your next attempts will be much more successful.

We've got a page here on how to find a caring dentist with lots of tips: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/find-a-dentist/

Please don't give up - statistically, the more places you try, the higher your chances of getting positive responses!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you :clover:

Hi, sorry to hear of your bad experience.

I am not sure if this helps at all, but my surgery has periods where the receptionists are super busy, and might come across as rude or abrupt then. I always try to ring about 4pm if I need an appointment. By that time lunches are over, the post and couriers have been and gone, and things are more relaxed.

The phones are SO busy first thing that the receptionists are like magicians, and lunchtime tends to be frantic because they are juggling breaks. My dentist can also book me in for a further appointment on the computer in her room, which I appreciate is absolutely no help in your situation.

Dbop,

That is Super hard.. when you get up the nerve, its hard enough to do.. then to reach someone in a mood or abrupt.. and even if they don't mean it.. its just hard... I agree with Letsconnect.. you have tried some places but am sure you will with trying find a place you come to feel a peace and comfort with where you can imagine being treated and they speak kindly and patiently with you.. That would be a really great start..

wishing you all the best in your search ! You are doing amazing not giving up !

At the age of 42 and no dental visits since having root canal at 13 I decided it was time to face my fears. I suspect I need maybe 10 teeth extracting and some dentures. I emailed a local dentist asking for advice but the reply was confusing so I decided to pop in after sitting in the car park for 1 hour. The receptionist was busy and rude, just pointed to the private treatment leaflet with prices. I then called the nhs help line who were very pleasant and understanding but unfortunately couldn't answer my question and advised I contact a local dentist for th answer. I have contacted 3 dentists now and feel that the receptionist are abrupt and nearly shouting. I'm not giving up yet and may try again soon.

I'm sorry you've been having such a tough time finding a good place. I admire your persistence though! Even people who don't have dental fears might be put off by being treated that way, but your not giving up really shows your will and bravery.

I hope you soon find a good location with kind, caring people who will answer your questions. I know they're out there somewhere!

So sorry to read about your bad experience, good to read that at least the hotline worker treated you kindly. I believe that your persistence and will to get on will bring you further and my piece of advice would be to try to keep your standards and only see a dentist in a practice that makes you feel welcoming. It might take some time and effort, but dentistry is not about getting your teeth fixed once but about building a partnership with a dentist and a dental team (no matter how weird it might sound for you now).
My last piece of advice would be not to wait too long with further looking, it might be a good idea to google dentists in your area to get an idea of what's out there, even if you do not contact them right away.

All the best wishes and let us know how you got on

Thanks for the possative support and advice.I have had two dental practises reply with emails today saying that unfortunately they are not taking any new NHS patients on but feel free to try again in a few months. I might sit in a car park of one on the way home later. I have done more towards solving this problem in the last 48 hours than I have done over the last 30 years.

That does sound like a lot of progress in a short space of time :)!!

Have you considered the Community Dental Service? Depending on where you live, they may offer a service for adults with dental phobia. Might be worth checking out!

Well done.

You have demonstrated a great deal of courage.

Last night after some time sat in a dental practice car park I decided to go in and ask if they are taking on new nhs patience. The receptionist was very pleasant and advised that I would need to fill a form in and the waiting time was 2 weeks. I took the form back to my car and filled it in ( even the how long since your last visit section 29 years :redface:. I took the form back in to the receptionist and explained I am a nervous patient and I need lots of work. I arranged a dental appointment for 2 weeks time.:scared:

Bravo!

Such courage. Well done.

Sounds great!! Good job on the courage to just keep going and walk in and then make appt!! Sounds like its promising they would be good to work with too :)

Well done :)!!! Great to hear that they were friendly and welcoming! Keeping my fingers crossed for you :thumbsup:

Well after a few sleepless nights the day has arrived and I am currently sat outside the dentist waiting for my first appointment. I feel sick and sweating wondering if this was such a good idea.:confused:

Might be a bit too late for wishing you good luck :clover: but let us know how you got on :grouphug:

The dentist was very nice. I need lots of work extractions fillings dentures. We have discussed all options and agreed a dental plan. I need to return in 2 weeks for my first part of treatment.:jump::scared::jump:

Well done :jump: !!! Great to hear that you like your dentist - that's excellent news :)!

The dentist was very nice. I need lots of work extractions fillings dentures. We have discussed all options and agreed a dental plan. I need to return in 2 weeks for my first part of treatment.:jump::scared::jump:

This is so great to hear :) :).. You did it!! and made appt for return.. What did you like best about the dentist? This will really be great to build some good momentum and trust .

I liked her understanding to my worries. The dentist explained everything in great detail and assured me that she can complete all my plan. The dentist explained all the options available and didn't judge me or make any comments on the state of my neglected teeth. Instead she commented on how much more confident people in the same situation as me are after having the work required completed. The only thing I am unsure about is my wisdom teeth. The dentist advised I should have them removed in hospital while asleep as they are down to the gums but that is not going to happen. I will persuade her to pull them for me under a local with a bit of luck.:):) I have a 3 week wait and then a 1st appointment to complete all the fillings required ( about 9 I think including a front tooth that I thought was doomed ) and impressions for dentures. Then a second appointment for extractions and dentures. I had x rays today that were pain free and fine.:jump::jump:

:jump::jump: This is all very encouraging !! Sounds like she really understood and connected with you and your thoughts and needs.. beautiful!! And great to you! For going and putting it out there and making the next steps .. ! Glad the xrays were painfree and fine too :)..

Back