• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not being informed of the cost....

P

philpbarnes

Good morning!

I went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago and was told I needed a wisdom tooth extracted. So I booked my appointment, and the receptionist asks me to pay £49. Fine I thought, not too bad. Went to my appointment today, had the tooth removed, and then as I return to the front desk I hear 'that'll be £150 please'.

Now maybe it was just me being stupid, but am I not supposed to be informed about how much my treatment would cost before I agree to it? I (wrongly) assumed that the £49 was all I had to pay, and was never once told anything more.

Do I have a case here? Is there an actual written requirement for me to see the costs beforehand?

Hope this all makes sense :)

If this was UK NHS England and Wales, the Band 2 fee should cover the check-up and treatment needed including extractions, so it would seem you were maybe overcharged.

If private, it is in the dentist's interest to discuss fees with you but the fees charged do not seem unreasonable.

The GDC says the following, fees fall under 'informed consent'

QUOTE: Always make clear to the patient:
the nature of the contract, and in particular whether
the patient is being accepted for treatment under the
NHS or privately; and
the charge for an initial consultation and the probable
cost of further treatment.
1.6 Whenever a patient is returning for treatment following an
examination or assessment, give them a written treatment
plan and cost estimate.
1.7 If, having agreed an estimate with the patient, you think
that you will need to change the treatment plan, make sure
you get the patient’s consent to any further treatment and
extra cost, and give the patient an amended written
treatment plan and estimate.

Hi,

Yes, of course you should have been informed of the total cost beforehand!

Lincoln

Back