• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not flipping for my flipper.

D

dawndh1975

I am 44 female with a lifetime of dental problems. I had a bad experience with a dentist at the age of 7. Then my mother neglected my health for years. When I turned 18 I started forcing myself to go to the dentist. The decay and lack of dental care was bad. I lost my two front teeth and had a permanent bridge put in at 21. I have just had the bridge and two more front teeth removed. I had the flipper put in right away. I can't go to work missing my four top front teeth. I know the flipper is new and I have to get used to it but I don't think I like it at all. I don't know how I'm going to eat. I work eight hours a day, I will need to eat. How do I do this.

I would suggest telling your dentist and asking for their help. Your dentist should be able to modify the flipper so it's more comfortable for you.

There's a good chance you won't be able to bite with your front teeth with the flipper

I have a flipper for one front tooth. It took me months to get used to it. Honestly, I still don't like it, but I can wear it now without being constantly aware of it.

I was told not to bite with my front teeth while wearing it. It took a good month before I was comfortable eating with it in. It felt weird to chew with my back teeth because of the plastic alongside them. Start with soft stuff like pasta, soups, baked potatoes, etc until you are comfortable eating with it in.

Also, if it hurts or is really uncomfortable, go back in to the dentist and have them adjust it. I had mine adjusted four times the first two weeks.

I also had issues with mine not fitting tightly and it moved. A few dabs of denture adhesive on the palate piece holds it in place well.

Thank you for the advice. I did go back we are trying to get it fixed but I am still swollen. I have limited teeth in the back of my mouth to try to chew with. So I am eating carnation instant breakfast, applesauce and mashed potatoes. I am about to try some pancakes wish me luck.

Thank you for the advice. I did go back we are trying to get it fixed but I am still swollen. I have limited teeth in the back of my mouth to try to chew with. So I am eating carnation instant breakfast, applesauce and mashed potatoes. I am about to try some pancakes wish me luck.

Glad you were able to get back in. My flipper changed in how it felt multiple times during the process of the swelling going down.
As far as limited chewing teeth, I understand. I am missing both lower molars on right (plus no wisdom teeth and had a ser of premolars out for braces as a teen). I am missing a molar on the upper left as well, and the two lower left ones are either cracked or something else. I can't chew anything harder than well cooked pasta. I have had a very limited diet for a while. Luckily, it is getting colder here and soups are sounding good!

Glad you were able to get back in. My flipper changed in how it felt multiple times during the process of the swelling going down.
As far as limited chewing teeth, I understand. I am missing both lower molars on right (plus no wisdom teeth and had a ser of premolars out for braces as a teen). I am missing a molar on the upper left as well, and the two lower left ones are either cracked or something else. I can't chew anything harder than well cooked pasta. I have had a very limited diet for a while. Luckily, it is getting colder here and soups are sounding good!
The pancakes went well. I am going to try eggs tomorrow. I also got baby food just the fruits and vegetables. I don't think I can do the meats. I am having a problem with all of this emotionally. I just start crying it really sucks.

The pancakes went well. I am going to try eggs tomorrow. I also got baby food just the fruits and vegetables. I don't think I can do the meats. I am having a problem with all of this emotionally. I just start crying it really sucks.

I can imagine how hard it is for you emotionally. I have lost four teeth in the past year, and have really struggled as well. I did not get all mine out together, and the front tooth was the last one to be extracted. It does get easier, but I will say that I still don't care for the flipper, and it has been 3 months. I am more used to it now, but I still don't like it.
I struggled with meat for a while. Even now, I can't eat some meats. I cook things in a slow cooker for maximum tenderness, and can manage to eat chicken, turkey, ground beef and sometimes pot roast if they are tender enough.

I can imagine how hard it is for you emotionally. I have lost four teeth in the past year, and have really struggled as well. I did not get all mine out together, and the front tooth was the last one to be extracted. It does get easier, but I will say that I still don't care for the flipper, and it has been 3 months. I am more used to it now, but I still don't like it.
I struggled with meat for a while. Even now, I can't eat some meats. I cook things in a slow cooker for maximum tenderness, and can manage to eat chicken, turkey, ground beef and sometimes pot roast if they are tender enough.
I just had some eggs for the first time it went well. I have started to get some sores from the flipper is this normal. Advil is my new best friend.

I would suggest telling your dentist and asking for their help. Your dentist should be able to modify the flipper so it's more comfortable for you.
I did go back once so far it needed to be adjusted. It caused a sore on my gum. It hurts. Advil and this oralgel mouth wash are helping. I saw another post who said they had to go back four times for adjustments on the filpper. I am going back to work tomorrow and I am terrified.

There's a good chance you won't be able to bite with your front teeth with the flipper
I think you are one hundred percent correct. I take it out at home to eat. Just worrying about eight hours at work with nothing to eat.

I just had some eggs for the first time it went well. I have started to get some sores from the flipper is this normal. Advil is my new best friend.

I had some sore spots as well, where it was rubbing.

I did go back once so far it needed to be adjusted. It caused a sore on my gum. It hurts. Advil and this oralgel mouth wash are helping. I saw another post who said they had to go back four times for adjustments on the filpper. I am going back to work tomorrow and I am terrified.

You may not need it adjusted more than once. It just depends on how comfortable it is. Mine had to be adjusted so much because I also had a lot of work done on the area (bone block grafting), and I had a lot of stitches. It didn't fit right as the swelling went down, and I had to be careful not to have pressure on the grafting areas.

Thank you so much for all your help. I really felt so alone in this and I don't know why.

Thank you so much for all your help. I really felt so alone in this and I don't know why.

If not for this forum, I would have felt totally alone. No one I know has ever gone through what I have gone through this past year and most don’t realize how difficult it is.

Back