• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not looking forward to my next dental appointment

I am due to go to the dentist in August and I am worried, sometimes I find it hard to chew certain foods or it may take me two or three attempts to eat it. as this happened when I cracked a tooth last year, or have accidently chip a tooth or filling.

I do have an issue with my teeth not coming together, and I don't know over the years this has cause me problems.

My Dad still helps me brush my teeth.

but I don't know whether it my anxiety playing up.

I done the crime of googling

and have read it is could be a sign of gum disease, oral cancer/oesophagus cancer or dysphagia (hard to swallowing food) sometimes I am swallowing food more slowly, but I can still food and drink.

I have never asked my dentist how their do a oral screening exam. as in my late 30s (37 years old) I don't smoke or drink or take drugs

I do go dentist every three months (had a gap in 2020 due to covid19

Last edited:
I just had my dental appointment a few hours ago. I asked her about my chewing issues, and I told her I suffer from anxiety a lot. she could not see any signs of oral cancer or gum disease.

My teeth are okay (no new fillings needed or replacing, I may need to have one of my wisdom teeth remove at some point, as it is a very awkward angle and it be very difficult to treat

My gums are all 2s I think my dentist uses the BPE scale, she says I not got any gum disease

I need to focus on one area

I had a dream a few nights ago, someone teeth were falling out, but came out like chess shapes, like the bishop, knight etc

My next appointment is 12th novemeber, I am worried about going to the dentist even though I been loads of times.

I lost the problem with the chewing issues the day after seeing the dentist (I have no idea why it happened, I reported it to my dentist and my GP as I went to my GP as my health anxiety had got worst and was suffering from shoulder/arm pain.

I dislike my teeth, my dad helps me brush my teeth once per day,

Hope your appointment went well!

Have a great dentist now. No more valium for me for a while.

Not posted for a while,

The chewing issue went away , and swallowing issue , as I swapped my anxiety tablets which has helped

I been to the dentist today, and discovered I got two small holes one in my wisdom teeth and one towards the back, believe this is around stage 1 getting towards stage 2 , of the tooth decay stages (5 being the highest)

I will get these filled in a couple of weeks time, I do try my best to keep my teeth clean, my dentist will filled them both in a couple of weeks time, but I am upset,

I am scared I will lose my teeth even though I go every three months, I got a overcrowding, over bite problem , I don't know whether this was due to the condition I was born with, but my jaw is small, I can't carry a full set (probably got 27 including the wisdom teeth through) dentures will not be an option as my teeth don't meet

Yes getting these sorted out next Tuesday, I dread going to the dentist, but I will never avoid getting treatment done if I need it. abscesses are not fun.

Hi @Thephilsblogbar was your appointment today or next Tuesday? If it was today - hope it all went well :XXLhug:

Wishing you all the best for next Tuesday then :) . Hopefully the wait is not too nerve-wrecking!

@letsconnect Thanks it has not turned into an abscess yet as she would have mention something, but I don't want it turn into one, so she says it is a small hole,

Yes the wait is nerve wrecking , I got a over crowding mouth, even though my dentist will not do i could do with having a few teeth removed to make it easier for me to clean, but I know the risk of teeth shifting may cause bigger problems.

I can't have braces we tried removeable when I was a teen but it did not work

Had my treatment , saw a different assistant but had same dentist,

My mouth is a challenge, my dentist agrees I got a overcrowding problem, and I could do with a few less teeth.

Congratulations @Thephilsblogbar - well done :respect:

Thanks was very interesting, how the dentist did one filling , using some equipment I have never seen before.

We also talked about a documentary I seen on tv in the past, and again on Youtube, dentistry throughout the last 500+ years.

Even though I should not watch Youtube video about dental work, it was very interesting to see how the needle worked and the drill how small it is.

No latest problems with my last dental checkup in December 2022

I treated myself to a new electric toothbrush one with a sensor in so I know if I am pressing too hard as I saw a good deal on the Internet and comes with it on carry case very useful for when I go on holiday,

No problems with my checkup in March 2023, told my dentist and her assistant about my toy of my electric toothbrush with sensor. dental practice was very busy on Wednesday, people must have known the weather was going to be bad on yesterday and today.

No further problems with my check ups . June, September

My Mum crown has fallen out twice this year (she had this crown about 20+ years) she is now needing to get a dental bridge

My Dad who has had false teeth for nearly 40 years, still on his first set, the dentist who saw him on Friday , is surprised how good these are after nearly 40 years, and how good his bone is . he was even asked about implants . and no signs of anything bad.

Some how I have managed to broke a bit of one of my back teeth (she said due to wear and tear) so need to go back to get it repaired, also I got an ulcer so took an x-ray , she could not see anything wrong with it, but she saved the photo for my file.

Also scored 2s on my gums, BPE ,

My niece has lost her first two teeth a few weeks ago, so suggestions from family how much should be paid, one of my Uncle's jokingly said about 500 pounds per tooth ,

Last edited:
My Mum dental bridge treatment went well, she got her temporary bridge in, she goes back in February for a check-up and to get her proper bridge in . she has two appointments. she no longer has to worry about her crown falling out

I get my broke bit repaired over the holiday, dentist told my mum as we have the same dentist as she also had her appointment the same day as me , he can treat himself

Ulcer she did a poking at the ulcer before taking the x-ray I struggle holding this in place,

I had my dental appointment before my Mum on Wednesday so I could pass on information to the dentist and assistant my Mum was scared.

I cant feel the chip in my mouth , but won't leave it , hopefully it be an easy fix after Christmas,

I think if my dentist was worried about my ulcer being something serious she would have referred me , as she know what I am like and to do her job.

Back