• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not replacing extracted bottom molar?

B

blubby10

Hello,

I already had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out. If a back bottom molar that is next to the once existing wisdom tooth were to be extracted and not be replaced, would this have any effect on the facial structure or features?

if I wear a retainer every night would this prevent super eruption or any teeth shifting due to this missing tooth?

Thank you!

I have gaps on both sides where lower first molars have been extracted - no teeth have shifted in over ten years, and it's actually something I ask about at every six month checkup. My face looks absolutely fine, no change. I do have my lower wisdom teeth, but I'm not sure that makes any difference. I suspect potential over-eruption of the other teeth is really emphasised by dentists who want to place implants, but perhaps I am just cynical...

I think it depends case by case, everyone is different. My colleague actually had that overeruption happened to her after losing her premolars. She also started noticing that happening 10 years after. She personally is very against implants though.

My wife had 4 first molars extracted at 10 years old, then 3rd molars at 22 (by me!), she's <ahem>, late 50s now, the upper second molars have drifted forward a bit and closed the gaps, the lowers haven't. She's had no issues from them whatever, no over eruption etc. It's not unusual to have a missing first molar with no issues.

I am getting my 2nd lower molar extracted within the next month (consult on Monday). I asked my dentist that same question. I also have had my wisdom teeth removed, and one set of premolars for orthodontia. This will be my first extraction since I got my wisdom teeth out at 18. I will likely have to have my 2nd molar extracted on the upper opposite side as well.

My dentist said that super eruption is more common with a lower molar being extracted, but does not always happen and can take years. She also said getting a nightguard made (or a retainer in your case) will help prevent shifting.

I do plan on asking the oral surgeon at my consult though.

My wife had 4 first molars extracted at 10 years old, then 3rd molars at 22 (by me!).

Do not mean to change the topic, but... What an interesting story! Did you marry before or after the extractions? :)

Before. We'd been married about 18 months when her wizzies started giving her bother.

I've also extracted my older boy's upper 2 wisdom teeth, his lowers can stay the hell where they are having seen the x-ray!

Janice was a bit phobic when we met, she hadn't been to a dentist for about 10 years after an idiot hurt her badly, but that's another story.

Before. We'd been married about 18 months when her wizzies started giving her bother.
Janice was a bit phobic when we met, she hadn't been to a dentist for about 10 years after an idiot hurt her badly, but that's another story.

What a story! I am melting! :love: this is even better than the story about you singing Abba to the poor wee girl during her extraction :) so nice to have you back…

I agree with Enarete!! Love your stories Gordon!

Oh well, since we're reminiscing... just after we got engaged, I had persuaded Janice to let me do a couple of gold inlays on her when I was a final year student. The impression material we used was a horrible combination of yellow putty stuff with a runny purple "wash" that gave the fine details.
As payment for letting me do the inlays, I had agreed to buy dinner that night in her favourite restaurant. Big commitment for a poor student!

Unfortunately, the dental nurse who mixed the purple goop "forgot" to mix in the catalyst with it... we had to scrape all the purple goop off Janice's teeth and then do it all again. However, the purple goop left a bit of staining here and there, so we went out to dinner with her having a lovely purple smile.

Somehow of course, this was all my fault, so it turned into an expensive dinner :)

She does, however, still have the inlays, some 38 years later, so maybe it wasn't that bad after all.

Unfortunately, the dental nurse who mixed the purple goop "forgot" to mix in the catalyst with it... we had to scrape all the purple goop off Janice's teeth and then do it all again. However, the purple goop left a bit of staining here and there, so we went out to dinner with her having a lovely purple smile.

Wow, this sounds like a list of what not to do on a date... :giggle: she must have really liked you..

Well, considering it was so long ago and she's still here, she must have seen my good qualities.

I still don't see how it was my fault that the nurse didn't put any catalyst in though. And yes, she still brings it up from time to time...

Back