• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not sure my tooth needs to come out.

M

mouthsewnshut

I have seen my dentist who referred me to a clinic that offers sedation because of my phobia. I have had a problem in my upper right gum and my dentist thinks that my wisdom tooth needs to come out. I went to the assessment appointment at the clinic and the dentist I saw x-rayed my tooth, there is no cavity, it is a little loose and what she showed me and explained, was that there was a little bit of tartar build-up below my gumline which she says probably catches food and bacteria then causes infection and inflammation. I have not had a problem with my tooth for a couple months now.

My appointment for my extraction is on the 29th and I just realised how soon it was today. I am freaking out, it is so soon, and why does my tooth need to come out if there is just some tartar build up below my gum line :/ I feel like it might be unnecessary and I am petrified at the thought of my tooth coming out. What if it's the wrong tooth. What if it doesn't need to come out at all? I am so tempted to cancel. But if I need the extraction, my dentist will have to refer me all over again. I feel trapped in this extraction. What do I do?

I am tempted to go back just for another consult so that she can explain why again she feels it needs to come out when maybe a deep clean - which she wants to do when I am sedated anyway - would take care of the problem?

The tartar shows that there can be gingivitis which can lead to other periodontal diseases. I put mine off for years and truly regret it. I got mine pulled last Monday and wisdom tooth grew to a full tooth. Never caused any problems for me but recently had an absess around it once again I never even knew it was there. The upper wisdom teeth are a piece of cake. The only need to worry is a bottom full impacted tooth. Good luck. Through i.v sedation you will feel Nothing. Just make sure u have your pain meds filled asap.

Thanks for your reply, I hope you're feeling ok now.

I had a slight change of plan, I spoke about my concern to someone at the clinic yesterday and the man there was very nice and understanding. He went to have a word with hs boss and came back with two options. One, I go to my own dentist, see the hygienist and have that calculus removed and see if it helps. If it does then all is well and good. And the other option was to go see another dentist at the same clinic on a pain appointment today, for a second opinion, but I have not got any pain. I looked at my diary and I have not actually had any problems since november, so it just seemed a little drastic to have it removed. It isn't impacted, it's fully grown and has enough room. I think that the problem was that whenever I went to my hygienist, the appointment coincided with that area being a little sensitive so she stayed away from there. I have sensitive teeth in general. Either way, I have to get back to them by the end of May, and let them know how it's going, and then we can decide if we put everything on hold or book the dreaded extraction.

So yesterday, after I spoke to the clinic, I rang my dentist and explained. There was a cancellation with my hygienist in the afternoon. She reckons that if we can keep that tooth clean, it shouldn't have to be extracted. She numbed me with a gel and then cleaned that area really well.

Hopefully that will keep it in check. But I thought it might be worth trying to get that sorted and maybe have a chance to save the tooth rather than having it taken out. I'd rather keep them all if I can.

Back