• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not sure what kind of dentist to see about this ...

M

Mira

Hello all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm scratching my head over this.

I had a molar extracted about 7 years ago. It started as an attempted filling repair that went poorly and ended up being an extraction. It was a difficult extraction (thanks to all the drilling he'd done the tooth shattered when he tried to pull it out so he had to "drill it out"). He was very good about scraping around to make sure he got all the roots and broken bits and it healed up just fine without any bone slivers coming out.

About two weeks ago, however, a sharp bit of bone poked its way through my gums. I've poked around to see if it's mobile but it seems pretty firmly attached to something so I'm guessing it's just part of the socket. Doesn't hurt much (the gum around it is a bit sensitive but poking at the bone doesn't cause any pain) so I've been willing to just wait it out and see if it wears down and goes back in on it's own.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be doing anything so I'm unsure if I should just keep on waiting (it's honestly not much of a problem) or if I should head in to someone to have it fixed. Has anyone experienced this before? Did you wait it out? If not, what kind of dentist did you go to? Not sure this is something my normal everyday dentist can handle (and I hate to fork out money just to be told to go to an oral surgeon or something) or if there's a specific kind of dentist I should visit.

Anyway, thanks all!

Hi Mira,

I've had bones kind of protruding out both slivers and annoying protrusions that weren't really sharp. My dentist who is a general dentist took care of this for me by filing down and smoothing out the bone . It was a pretty quick procedure with some small bit of pain and a few stiches afterwards but not too bad. It helped alot and felt better after it was taken care of!

Hi Mira,

I've had bones kind of protruding out both slivers and annoying protrusions that weren't really sharp. My dentist who is a general dentist took care of this for me by filing down and smoothing out the bone . It was a pretty quick procedure with some small bit of pain and a few stiches afterwards but not too bad. It helped alot and felt better after it was taken care of!

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know!

Back