• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not sure what to do...symptoms are odd

M

MountainMama

I have been waiting on my front tooth, to see if the Clindamycin solved the problem with the infection. My symptoms are odd, though, and I don't know what is normal.

The tooth had a very large abscess that went undetected for quite some time. After the root canal and apicoectomy, the tooth was still sore with pressure, and had pain behind the tooth, in the roof of my mouth, and at the root tip, under my nose.
The clindamycin took away the pressure pain. I can now bite with the tooth (although the one time I did, it was sore for a few days after, then went away). However, I have a dull pain behind the tooth, in the roof of my mouth. There is no pain when the tooth is pushed on at all. There is a slight pinching/pulling sensation at the area where the root tip would be when I move my lip a certain way that creates pressure in that area. The majority of the discomfort is right under my nose and in the roof of my mouth, behind the tooth. It is much better than it was, and I have periods of time with no pain. It hurts worse after I have been speaking for a while, and when I get a cold it is awful.

I am seeing an ENT today, to rule out any issues with my sinus, caused by the infection.

I am scared that if I pull the tooth, the pain in the roof of my mouth, and under the tooth will continue, and I will have pulled the tooth for nothing. I am not sure how to proceed. I also don't want to keep dragging this out forever, if the tooth needs to come out.

I can't get my x rays to upload for some reason

Hi,

It sounds like the clindamycin is working fine and it will continue to work and improve the system. It is decently a tooth related issue, not sinus or anything else.

I have been waiting on my front tooth, to see if the Clindamycin solved the problem with the infection. My symptoms are odd, though, and I don't know what is normal.

The tooth had a very large abscess that went undetected for quite some time. After the root canal and apicoectomy, the tooth was still sore with pressure, and had pain behind the tooth, in the roof of my mouth, and at the root tip, under my nose.
The clindamycin took away the pressure pain. I can now bite with the tooth (although the one time I did, it was sore for a few days after, then went away). However, I have a dull pain behind the tooth, in the roof of my mouth. There is no pain when the tooth is pushed on at all. There is a slight pinching/pulling sensation at the area where the root tip would be when I move my lip a certain way that creates pressure in that area. The majority of the discomfort is right under my nose and in the roof of my mouth, behind the tooth. It is much better than it was, and I have periods of time with no pain. It hurts worse after I have been speaking for a while, and when I get a cold it is awful.

I am seeing an ENT today, to rule out any issues with my sinus, caused by the infection.

I am scared that if I pull the tooth, the pain in the roof of my mouth, and under the tooth will continue, and I will have pulled the tooth for nothing. I am not sure how to proceed. I also don't want to keep dragging this out forever, if the tooth needs to come out.

I can't get my x rays to upload for some reason
I'll be praying for You Today MountainMama. Much Love.

Hi,

It sounds like the clindamycin is working fine and it will continue to work and improve the system. It is decently a tooth related issue, not sinus or anything else.

That is reassuring, but is it normal that things were great, with no pain gor about a week after I finished the Clindamycin, and now there is a little more discomfort?

What worries me the most is that it hurts worse after talking for a while. I don't know if that will eventually get better, but it makes things really difficult.

The x rays have the abscess as having a width of 6 mm, and goes back from the tooth into the palate 8 mm. The endodontist said that was very large, so I am wondering if a lot of the pain in the roof of my mouth will go away as that area "fills in".

That is reassuring, but is it normal that things were great, with no pain gor about a week after I finished the Clindamycin, and now there is a little more discomfort?

What worries me the most is that it hurts worse after talking for a while. I don't know if that will eventually get better, but it makes things really difficult.

The x rays have the abscess as having a width of 6 mm, and goes back from the tooth into the palate 8 mm. The endodontist said that was very large, so I am wondering if a lot of the pain in the roof of my mouth will go away as that area "fills in".
What happens is that you have a sort of balance between the tooth infection and your immune system. This balance can change: if the immune system gets weaker due to medications, sickness or stress it challenge in favor of the bacteria and the tooth becomes more sensitive. The antibiotics shifted this balance in favor of the immune system and the balance can change by the day and the sensitivity level with it.

What happens is that you have a sort of balance between the tooth infection and your immune system. This balance can change: if the immune system gets weaker due to medications, sickness or stress it challenge in favor of the bacteria and the tooth becomes more sensitive. The antibiotics shifted this balance in favor of the immune system and the balance can change by the day and the sensitivity level with it.

That makes sense. Thank you for that explanation. So it should continue to improve slowly?

That makes sense. Thank you for that explanation. So it should continue to improve slowly?
If you don’t suffer from any disease or condition that impair your immune system, I am willing to put my money that the symptoms won’t increase. But then again, since I don’t know you, I might lose all my money....

If you don’t suffer from any disease or condition that impair your immune system, I am willing to put my money that the symptoms won’t increase. But then again, since I don’t know you, I might lose all my money....

I appreciate your input. I am fairly healthy, with no immune system issues. I know you can't tell me either way, but at least that gives me hope.

I just got back from the ENT, and he confirmed that my sinuses are not affected. He looked at the x ray and said that there was a spot where the infection had made a hole in the bone to the sinus, but that it hadn't gone all the way through.

He said that the abscess had been right on the nerve and that I am feeling nerve pain, not sinus pain. He did press on the area above my tooth, under the gums, and it was still sensitive to pressure, so he said I wasn't in the clear yet, as it could indicate the infection isn't gone yet. He said the nerve is obviously still irritated, so something is still irritating it. That may improve, or may get worse.

Good news is that he pressed around on the tooth, and there was no pain.

I appreciate your input. I am fairly healthy, with no immune system issues. I know you can't tell me either way, but at least that gives me hope.

I just got back from the ENT, and he confirmed that my sinuses are not affected. He looked at the x ray and said that there was a spot where the infection had made a hole in the bone to the sinus, but that it hadn't gone all the way through.

He said that the abscess had been right on the nerve and that I am feeling nerve pain, not sinus pain. He did press on the area above my tooth, under the gums, and it was still sensitive to pressure, so he said I wasn't in the clear yet, as it could indicate the infection isn't gone yet. He said the nerve is obviously still irritated, so something is still irritating it. That may improve, or may get worse.

Good news is that he pressed around on the tooth, and there was no pain.
Hey MountainMama,
I actually saw this post because I am feeling also a "pulling" sensation similar to the one you are describing. In my case, though there is no tooth anymore - got removed 3 months ago, but still I am a bit perplexed about the pulling sensation I am experiencing.
Did it ever resolve for you?

@the_lost_interleukin The infection never went away so I ended up having my tooth out, then an implant. The weird pain did go away but I don’t know if it was time or getting the tooth out and the infection cleared out.

Back