• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not too convinced about oral surgeon's wisdom tooth options.

D

deadonarrival

I have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer.

I am getting all 4 wisdom teeth out, and one is impacted (my lower). I am almost certain that my oral surgeon doesn't offer I.V. sedation, only oral sedation, which will not be enough for me and I need to be as out of it as I can possibly be. Should I choose another surgeon because of this? My boyfriend said that the oral sedation and I.V. sedation are the same thing, but i've read otherwise. I don't want to take any chances on feeling any pain.

Second, what options do I have that will deal with my inability to keep my mouth open for long periods of time due to having TMJ and jaw problems? Does this get really uncomfortable and are they more likely to accidently break my jaw because of this? It is almost impossible for me to keep my mouth open to simply get a cavity filled so I imagine the wisdom teeth removal is going to be the worse thing ever.

LAST! My boyfriend is taking me to my appointment, and I want him to stay with me in the room up until the time of surgery or until I am completely sedated enough. Is this allowed? I am pretty sure I will end up crying or having a bad panic attack if I am in the room all alone waiting, and i'm certain I can't do this without him at least holding my hand until they start the surgery and i'm somewhat sedated.

All responces are greatly appreciated seeing as i've been having MAJOR anxiety over this procedure already and nobody understands how scary it is for me. I don't know what to do, and I almost don't even want to get it done because of how much pain and phobia is involved. I don't know what to do...

thanks guys!

Most of these are best asked of the oral surgeon to be honest. If they're not keen to reassure you at this stage you might be better looking elsewhere.

The mouth opening problem isn't a big deal, there are gadgets called "props" that most surgeons use to help support the jaw during lengthy procedures and help to keep it open. It's also a problem that's helped a lot with sedation.

I have no problem with relatives/carers sitting in the room with patients, different dentists may differ, which is why you're better asking the specific dentist you're seeing.

Back