• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Notch in enamel at gum line

I

i555007

I have a notch at my gum line on a few teeth that is sensitive when I brush or press
on it with my fingernail.

What causes this and what should I do to fix the problem?

I have more than one of these and the best thing to do if it bothers you is stick some sensitive toothpaste on it until the sensitivity goes. The one I originally had I've had for many years on a third upper molar and I used to worry about it but was told not to as it's not decayed etc. It's no longer sensitive these days. I think it's also a good idea not to overbrush.

I'm sure I should be worrying far more about my teeth as I either have or have had many of the conditions people mention. But I am not really too bothered as I seem to have various things for years and they never cause any problems so why worry?

I read something interesting today about a laser that can detect decay that can be masked by fluouride toothpaste. I'm wondering if any of the dentists here have heard of such a thing. Sounds wonderful.

I have this on many teeth I think it is where the gums are receding (correct me if I am wrong dentists please) luckily I dont have sensitive teeth yet which surprises my dentist.

I now brush with my electric toothbrush on slow speed and floss daily to try an slow the process down.

There are a few theories out there regarding these gum line notches. Some call them abfractions and contribute them to a combination of grinding and acid reflux while others blame them on brushing too hard. If they aren't too major you can try some desensitizing toothpastes and just observe them. If they get worse the dentist can try bonding some filling material in.

Zzzdentist
neither of those theories fit, no acid reflux and grinding is imposable in the location,Tooth 5 & 6 I belive on the outside.

As for brushing to hard, that simply doesn’t make sense to be worn down to a grove right at the gum line.

I just don’t want my tooth rotting out, it’s the only two I have left…J/K. I have all including wisdom teeth that can’t make up their mind if they want to grow in or not. lol

Topcat That’s exactly what it looks like but all are receding and only two are like this so that couldn’t be the answer.

Topcat That’s exactly what it looks like but all are receding and only two are like this so that couldn’t be the answer.

Quite a few of mine are receceding and I have 3 with deep groves at the gum line that feel like a ridge with my nail, in fact you can see them quite clearly. I have one other tooth that has receded a bit lower than those 3 and that has no notch at all.

Well my gums aren't receding. Acid reflux - could fizzy drinks or alcohol have the same effect?

Well my gums aren't receding. Acid reflux - could fizzy drinks or alcohol have the same effect?

Im not affected by any of that, I hate fizzy drinks and rarely have alcohol :confused:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that grinding causing flexure in the teeth. It was not meant to imply that one would be grinding directly on the abraded area causing the "abfraction." Imagine a crystalline structure of peanut brittle say, and then picture it rocking side to side while the base is embedded in concrete. I'm not entirely convinced about this theory as sometimes these wedges are so cleaning cut that it's hard to imagine them forming without pieces being cleaved out somehow. Still, that's what a lot of dentists tend to think that it's a combination of acid, grinding forces, and brushing.

I would think any acid attack on the teeth might contribute to these although I'm certainly no expert in the matter. I think wine is acidic so it might have an effect. It would be interesting to actually be able to see the process happening as the wedge pattern is quite cleanly cut as if someone took an axe to a tree trunk.

Hmmmm, I have never worried about these notches on my teeth and the dentist has never mentioned them, should I be worried ?

Sometimes she has poked about on my teeth that are quite exposed and asked if it hurts which thankfully it never has.

I believe I do grind my teeth at times and quite often realise that I have totally clamped my mouth together when I am stressed and have to relax it (this quite often leads to jaw/teeth ache)

I am being paranoid again :(

If the notches aren't too large or sensitive they may not be too much to worry about. They usually can be repaired quit easily if need be, but sometimes it's good to assess what are the contributing factors and see if it's possible to address those too.

Back