• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Noticing black triangles top teeth

W

WorriedIncisor

This week I have started to floss using oral b super floss as I have a permenant retainer behind my top teeth so can’t use normal floss.

Previously I have been using a water flosser however part of my gum became swollen so have been using super floss carefully and the swelling has gone down.

I have noticed a tiny black triangle/dot, hole in between the teeth at the top near the gum. I am guessing this is from threading the superfloss through my gum.

Does a tiny black triangle matter, could I have caused this black triangle from flossing?

Any help would be a appreciated, I am so anxious!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Black triangles are quite common when there has been a small amount of bone loss and things start healing. Basically you've improved your plaque control and the gingival tissues have got more healthy, they've shrunk back a bit and you're noticing the change.
I would recommend you visit a dental hygienist and get some proper instruction on how to use superfloss properly though.

W

WorriedIncisor

Black triangles are quite common when there has been a small amount of bone loss and things start healing. Basically you've improved your plaque control and the gingival tissues have got more healthy, they've shrunk back a bit and you're noticing the change.
I would recommend you visit a dental hygienist and get some proper instruction on how to use superfloss properly though.
Thanks Gordon, really appreciate your help 😊