• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Novacaine Injection question...Into sinus cavity ?

T

TG

Close to a week ago I had two teeth removed -#2 and #3 (upper right)..

While being injected with novacaine, the dentist inserted the needle into my sinus cavity, (via the inside of my mouth) which I might add was "interesting" - needless to say he asked me "do you feel that ?" and I replied that I did as the novacaine was being administered there...It was an interesting sensation.

Once the needle was removed I blew my nose, which resembled a strong nosebleed and eventually stopped. I was told that this is common when removing those teeth in question because of the nerves/roots being located in that area.

My question of course is this "normal procedure"? I have never heard of it - and no one that I have mentioned it to since I had this done has ever heard of it (frankly they don't believe me)

Isn't it possible to have infections or some other complication from the medication being put there ? I had the understanding that inserting anything into the sinus can cause infection, not to mention
the needle passing through the inside of my mouth to get there. It wasn't the most unpleasant thing I've experienced but I am curious if this is common or something that is required.

Thank you

Interesting, I've never, ever heard of that happening before, so it's certainly not common practice :)

There's not much problem with infections, the LA solution is completely sterile and there's unlikely to have been much in the way of contamination still on the needle from the outside as it went through the tissues.

This is actually interesting to me, since i just read something online about a possible new way to freeze the entire upper jaw with no needles at all (me being a serious dental needle phobic I remember these things) and apparently they are developing a nasal spray that will numb the entire upper jaw! No painful injections anymore for upper work, is their slogan!

OMG that sounds amazing! Are dentist really starting to use this or is it just being developed at the mo?

Sorry, that sounds like snake oil to me. I'm always wary when I hear of articles published for public consumption on something that should have been carried in the professional journals first, it's usually crap.

I also can't see how it would work!

That's interesting. I'll look forward to reading more about it when they've completed the trials.

hello there. i used to read and write on this forum a few years ago. been lurking around again, and now i have a question.
i brought up this thread because during a search, it was the only one i could find that was similiar.

i just had a root canal re-treatment on tooth #8 (upper front right tooth), yesterday in the middle of the day.
while recieving the novacaine injection i too, felt what could described as an "interesting" sensation in my sinus. basically it felt like it was getting cold water in it..
my eyes teared up and my nose felt so stuffy immediately after. i got a tissue and gathered myself together for a moment. no bleeding or anything.
overall, i have to say the treatment went pretty well.
i just was hoping for a little more insight.
ever since i left the office it has totally felt like i got punched in the face. and that there is a stick up my nose. lol. really. that is what it feels like. straight from the roof of my mouth, up my nose and to my eye. when i flex my nostrils there is an odd hard pain in the back of my nose. like i have had a really bad cold or something is what it feels like.
so what i am wondering is...is everything okay? is my sinus going to heal on its own? i read in that post that the fluid is sterile, which is great. but....
the reason i needed the root canal retreatment is because i had a terrible infection going on. most likely never got healed in the first place from the original abcess some years ago.
so, i just want to make sure it didn't spread the infection into my sinus, or injure my sinus or anything.
it isn't even terrible pain. just more very odd and uncomfortable. and i can't make alot of facial movements without it hurting.
thanks for any advice or information in advance.

Basically yes, it's OK, the sinus lining has probably got anaesthetised. The infected area should be nowhere near the infection site in any case.

Really weird, I've never heard of such a thing before, having it happen twice to people on here is bizarre...

thanks for your reply.
i found it rather weird as well. i have had my front teeth worked on a few times before and never had that happen. i trust my endodontist at least and think it is just 'one of those things'. i know he was focused on only sticking me once on each side, and just getting alot in there with the one stick. so maybe he got a little enthusiastic. i don't know. and i have been told before i have a short pallete. basically a small mouth. so maybe that had something to do with it.
the only reason i asked about the infection part is because the infection was in the bone right above the tooth, which just seemed like the area he stuck me. but i guess even that is irrelevent because i am on a pretty solid round of antibiotics anyway.
i must say tho. never want that to happen again. it sucks.

after researching a bit online i think it may have been the floor of the nose, instead of the sinus.
it has been a couple days and my nose hurts more than my mouth does. pretty crazy. plus i am fighting a pretty wicked infection i think, don't feel very well and running a bit of fever.
i would still love any more thoughts on this. it can't be that rare of occurance.
thanks

Rayne, I was VERY curious to know how this situation ended up for you in February?? Did you end up having the wicked infection that you were anticipating? And did you ever figure out what that injection/procedure was all about?? Also...you mentioned that you had infection in that bone above your tooth...my question is...how did you know you had infection in that bone? Did it show up on your films or what?

Thanks!

Thank you for this site. I just had a temporary cap put on my #8 upper right front tooth yesterday.

One of the needles was administered to the roof of my mouth, and in doing so entered my sinus cavity. The immediate sensation was a numbing of the right side of my nose. The area around the tear duct of my right eye also became numb as did the facial skin on the right side between my eye and nose.

My eye teared up uncontrollably, and my nose felt as if it were completely clogged as if with a bad cold, but no pain was felt. That was as long as the anesthesia was working it's magic.

This was a six hour procedure. After about three hours I started to notice pain in my nose. Then on the right side of my face.

When I got home I wanted nothing more than to blow my nose, as my sinus had felt entirely clogged since the beginning of the procedure.
When I did a large amount of clear fluid came from my right nostril, as did a small amount of blood.

Today there is no pain anywhere where the actual dental procedure was performed. But my nose and face are still quite sore. And I still feel as though my sinus on the right side is clogged, as if I have a bad cold but on only the right side.

I figured the injection into the sinus was a mistake, as the oral surgeon spent the majority of the time looking at and making passes at his assistant.

So I was wondering, are there any dental assts on here who can say if this is normal procedure - or a mistake??

I think that if anyone injected into my sinus by mistake, he/she must be a raving incompentent and I would get up and leave. Come on, the anatomy of the head and oral cavity is not that complicated. The anesthesia is the worst part of any and all dental produres for me, but if they can't get that right how can you have ANY confidence that they'll get the rest right? Run.

I think that if anyone injected into my sinus by mistake, he/she must be a raving incompentent and I would get up and leave. Come on, the anatomy of the head and oral cavity is not that complicated. The anesthesia is the worst part of any and all dental produres for me, but if they can't get that right how can you have ANY confidence that they'll get the rest right? Run.

I have a great deal of sympathy for that view Clem. I can't guarantee I would have the assertiveness to get up and leave though;).

Exiting the dental office is always the sweetest part of the appointment for me. Leaving because of incompetence on the part of the operator should not be a big deal at all. You are paying them to provide a quality service, and if they get off to such a horrible start, why stay?

Exiting the dental office is always the sweetest part of the appointment for me. Leaving because of incompetence on the part of the operator should not be a big deal at all. You are paying them to provide a quality service, and if they get off to such a horrible start, why stay?

Knowing my luck that would happen with a dentist I already trusted so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt...but you are right of course;).

Rayne, I was VERY curious to know how this situation ended up for you in February?? Did you end up having the wicked infection that you were anticipating? And did you ever figure out what that injection/procedure was all about?? Also...you mentioned that you had infection in that bone above your tooth...my question is...how did you know you had infection in that bone? Did it show up on your films or what?

Thanks!

i know this thread is super old. but i also know lots of people will still probably read it and i wanted to update.
no, i was never entirely sure what happened with that injection..but...the pain and discomfort went away with time. now it is just a memory.
and i found out i had that infection above the teeth because he did an xray. i even got to see it. the bone and roof of your mouth looks white on xray..and the infection was like a big black spot.
that tooth is still doing well. i never did get a crown on it...shame on me..because crowns are necessary after root canals..they just also happen to cost about a thousand dollars a piece.

oh. and i still love and trust that endodontist. he did a good job on my root canal. i think the injection mishap was just an accident. i am sure everyones mouth is shaped differently, and i know he would never hurt me on purpose. he is a good doctor.

Be that as it may, if anyone EVER injected into my sinus cavity, I'm gone. Period. Trust would fly out the door with me. I'm sorry, there's just no excuse for that kind of mistake. They get one chance with me.

Back