• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Novacaine Injection question...Into sinus cavity ?

Well, I'm not convinced it's incompetence. I've being injected into my sinus cavity TWICE! First time was many years ago during an apicectomy at the hospital. Second time was at a private dentist a couple of weeks ago and it sent me into a panic.

During palatal injection at the front, it feels like a spray of cold water up the nose but then it goes down the back of the throat! As the chair was tipped right back, I felt like I was going to choke! I flew out of the chair and then spent about 10 minutes trying to convince myself that my throat wasn't really closing up as it had gone numb and I couldn't feel myself swallow. The numbness in the throat went after about 10 mins but the anxiety remains.

My dentist hadn't heard of it happening before either.

Last edited:
4 Days ago I had my front tooth worked on. The dental anesthesiologist needle I swear went into my nasal cavity because all of a sudden the needle went in real fast. Then I felt some pain in my nose. A second later some novacain was going straight down the back of my throat "FROM MY NOSE". When I said I swallowed some, she blew it off and said sometimes the needle squirts in the mouth. That is BS because I didnt even swallow. It didn't come from my mouth.

Now my nose is a bit sore where it was poked. I dont think it's infected, but it's been a week and it still feels sore.

I should probably talk to the dentist, but she would probably deny it happened. Had she been forthright and said she accidentally punctured my nasal cavity I would have felt better.

While it seems like a far distance between the 2, if you look at the very top of your gums, it is very close to your nasal cavity.

Yikes! I recently had an apicoectomy on my front tooth, and I know what you mean about it being right near your nose.

My nose is still sore three weeks after, although it is getting better. I hope your nose feels better soon.

I came across this thread and wanted to ease fears if I could.

This also happened to me. It doesn't mean your dentist is inexperienced. And the discomfort and annoying runny nose will likely go away within a couple of days.

It sounds like a "sinus communication" is causing sinusitis symptoms. A "sinus communication" is a small hole in your sinus lining, which can be caused by a dentist when working on maxillary teeth (top teeth). This happens because the roots of your upper teeth are extremely close to your sinus lining, which is delicate.

It’s possible for them to accidentally poke through the sinus lining and create a very small hole. This results in symptoms like a runny nose, post-nasal drip, congestion, sinus pressure and sinus pain. If the hole is small, it will heal on its own in a couple of days. If the symptoms last longer than a week, or the pain & discomfort persist (or gets worse), you may have a larger hole and should contact your doctor.

Back