• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Numb/tingling in lips & chin after upper molar extraxfion

S

starklm26

I had my upper molar (2) extracted 3 years ago. After the procedure was completed I noticed my bottom lip and chin on the same side felt numb and tingly for a few hours. Is this normal to happen with an upper tooth?

I am getting a bottom molar (18) extracted in a month and am trying to prepare for the LA. I am very scared of needles and having the injection cause pain. I am also afraid that I won’t be able to get numb or that I will have some kind of adverse reaction. Will I also feel numb in my lip/chin like I did with the upper tooth? How long does it usually take for the anesthetic to wear off for bottom teeth?

Thank you

I can't see any way that having an upper tooth removed would cause your lower lip and chin to feel numb. Sorry.
Having a lower molar removed will almost certainly have half your lip and chin numb though. Oops, missed the last one. Anaesthetic will normally wear off in around 2hrs, sometimes a bit more sometimes less.

Back