• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Numbing for two upper fillings in same appointment

J

JessicaB

I am getting two upper fillings on the same side done in one appointment soon, and I was wondering out of interest how many needles there are likely to be?

From some of the other posts I've read, it looks as though for lower teeth the whole side is numbed, but for upper teeth, they only numb each individual tooth. Is this correct? If so, does that mean I'll have to have, say, four needles rather than the two I had for a single filling in my lower jaw recently. I think the two theeth are next to each toher but I'm not 100% sure. I know one is the second to back tooth before the wisdom tooth, and I think the other is the one behind that.

I can easily ask my dentist at the beginning of the appointment but I might forget, plus my over-active mind is going over and over this in my head and there's still a week and a half to go so I'd be keen to know if it's possible to answer at all on this forum. Though I am pleased to say that what was previously fear in this regard has been replaced by curiosity after a very successsful and almost pain free needle experience with my first ever filling last week.

Thanks!

If it helps put your mind at ease, I had work for one filling on the lower jaw recently and the whole side was numbed, but it only involved one injection and that seemed to be between the two jawbones and in an area that seemed to have few nerves as I didn't feel it at the time.

When I've had work on the upper jaw sometimes they use just one injection at the front and sometimes one at the front and one on the inside, but once I've had the first one I can never feel the second as the jaw is already numbing up.

Ask for some numbing gel as that helps too. I also find it's better to close my eyes and take deep breaths.

I've had just one comfortable one on the inside for work on two adjacent upper teeth. It might help to stare at the ceiling if you prefer not to close your eyes so that everything can stay out of your line of sight...also try to see them as more cuddly ;)....a dose of 'numbing medicine' rather than a 'dreaded needle' .
Many dentists can do these totally comfortably and if it's a major issue for you, TheWand is excellent at providing comfortable profound numbing but unfortunately not many dentists have it yet...only a matter of time no doubt.

You could ask for topical first (numbing gel) if your dentist doesn't routinely use it.

Oops just seen you've already had a good experience so no need to worry really lol!

It might be anywhere from one to three areas that might need numbing. It just depends on which teeth, what needs to be done, where the decay is, etc. Try not to focus on the number of areas needing to be numbed, but just relaxing through the process. I figure as long as the dentist can apply the anesthetic well, they can place as much as they need to get me numb to allow me to make it through the treatment!

Thanks Zzzdentist. I will just focus on breathing in the wonderful nitrous and listening to my dentist's lovely voice as he gives me encouragement and will try not to think about the numbers :)

Back