• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Numbing sensation upper vs lower

S

Stacen

Hi there,

I have to get three fillings done on my upper molars tomorrow..i am so nervous.

I just had two root canals done on my lower molars 6 months ago. Feeling numb and spending way too long in a dentist chair make me feel very anxious.
I booked all 3 fillings and a cleaning all at once so i can be done with it!

How long would 3 fillings take!? And also they are all side by side..does freezing on the upper teeth only freeze the tooth..so you only notice if you were to bite down? or does it freeze your whole face and mouth like the lower jaw?

Thank you!

Hello,

I'm sorry in advance for the vague answer I'm going to give. For starters, the length of time you're in the chair depends on the ability of the dentist, how deep the cavity is, and what kind of cavity it is. For example, if all three involve the sides of the tooth the dentist has to drill and fill all three separately. If, on the other hand, the cavity is just on the chewing surface he/she can drill all 3 and then fill. As far as the numbing, it depends on the kind of injection he/she will use. There are some that numb the individual tooth, and then there are some that numb the entire area. Since you said they are all side by side I would assume the latter will be used.

I hope that helps!

Back