• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Numbing shots

S

sunshinehope13

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and it's for a filling under the gum. This would be my first numbing shot and I'm very nervous about it. For fillings under the gum do you need a numbing shot? If so how bad do they hurt?

They will probably give you a shot. You feel a little poke when the needle goes in, but then nothing. It's really not bad. I've had 3 fillings.

This depends on the technique and which tooth it is, but it is possible for the shot to be comfortable and dentists learn techniques to make it painless. We have a great article about what can be help here:

:welcome:
Sunshinehope13

I hope your appt goes well! Please let us know. I know if you are not there yet. There have been many many times I've closed my eyes anticipating a poke or pain with the shot and come to find out I've already had the shot and done. Its pretty amazing how painfree it can be with the right dentist taking their time. Also if you haven't went make sure to let them know you are anxious about this and they should take extra care they do it painfree!

As others have said, a lot of it depends on the dentist's technique! The slower and less hurried they are, the more comfortable it will be. If they use numbing gel on your gums beforehand, and the dentist is gentle and not in a rush, you should feel BARELY anything at all. A very faint prick or sting at the most, and it's only for a few seconds. I hope it went well for you! OH, and I always close my eyes, too! Just breathe slowly through your nose and think about something pleasant, like a basket full of puppies :)

Back