• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Numbness 2 weeks after dental implants

C

Car

Please help me ! 2 weeks ago I had 2 dental implants placed in my lower right jaw under local anaesthetic. The next morning I was still completely numb over half my chin area and half my lower lip ! 2 weeks on and the numbness is exactly the same. There are some tingling sensations and heat in the area. Please help me as I’m frightened. Thank you

Have you contacted the dental office who did the work?

I’m not a doctor, this is my own experience and your experience may vary, but I was told that some numbing was to be experienced for some time after the extraction and that it can be examined at the follow-up appointment I had about 2 weeks after the implant was placed. The staff I talked to were not at all worried of the numbing I was feeling. I remember the tingling sensation too. It all got back to normal.

Yes I spoke to the dental surgeon that performed the implants the next day. He saw me after a couple of days and said not to worry! We have spoken a few times by phone and he says it takes time to come back sometimes after implants and he will see me next week. I’m still very frightened As I’m completely numb and finding speaking and eating and drinking difficult. I just want to know if the numbness will go away. ?

I am not a dentist either, but I was also told numbness does happen sometimes and usually goes away, although it can take up to 6 months. Mine was after a dental surgery, and it lasted almost 8 months and I do still have one small spot the size of my thumbnail that is still numb. However it doesn’t bother me and I don’t even remember it unless I touch the area.
Do you have a follow up appointment scheduled? I was also told that the tingling was a sign that the numbness was starting to go away. The surgeon told me it will feel tingly for awhile, then slowly fade although it could take up to 6 months.

Many dentists obtain a post implant scan , remove the implant and place you on steroids when this happens

Tingling and heat feeling is a good sign though, it usually means things are recovering.

Hi Car,

I can’t even imagine how uncomfortable and scary it must be to feel numb, not to talk about eating and speaking. If the surgeon is not worried then things will surely get back to normal gradually. Fingers crossed you get back to normal soon!

All the best wishes