• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

numbness/swelling still 4 days out

D

DKMB

Had a small cavity filled (top back molar) 4 days ago and my cheek is still swollen with partial numbness still evident. It had been 40 years since I'd needed any dental work. I go in for all my routine check-ups and cleanings.

During the cavity filling I experienced no pain or unusual sensations. After the procedure I felt my face numb but was not alarmed and told that after a few hours it would go away. It didn't. I had the procedure done in the AM Thursday. After no reduction in swelling by Friday PM I was concerned. Saturday morning I noticed a silver dollar size rash on the above mentioned cheek, odd. The meaty, fleshy part of my cheek slightly sore to the touch, and I now notice bruising on my cheek. My entire cheek is still slightly numb. All these same symptoms continue until Monday with no degree of lessening. I phoned my dentist who did procedure. My dentist saw me Monday PM. Dentist advised me to use warm compress nightly and gargle with salt water (although he said he saw no evidence of infection, ((I asked)). Said everything should be back to normal in 7 days. Jeez Louise, that is a big difference, from a couple of hours to 10 days later. Is this really normal, nothing to worry about ??? Inside my mouth, I don't feel any pain, or tooth sensitivity.

I am really disappointed that after my Monday PM re-exam my dentist parting words were "don't worry you'll live" Humph !! not the nicest thing to say to a long time patient. Not best practice.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I think it sounds like your dentist has knocked a nerve or something when they have injected you. You should not be still feeling numb or sore and it isn't normal. If they have caused some damage to the tissues when injecting it will take some time to heal.

I think in your position I would want to be sure that I was okay. I would go and get someone else to have a look and see what they think. This is in no way normal like I said, and in time things should go back to normal.

I am not a dentist and it is only my opinion, I would want a second opinion. I would also be very annoyed to be feeling like this too :butterfly:

Back