• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Obsessed and constant worrying about teeth

A

Arkeresia

Hey guys I really just need to vent...

I had tooth extraction about a month ago and it's just sparked off so many other issues. I've changed to a private dentists who are great but I'm really obsessing over things that are wrong. I have a wisdom tooth that was growing into the molar next to it that I stupidly ignored for a year so the molar had to be removed. The widsom tooth has a big hole of decay that needs a big filling but there's a chance it'll have to be removed if the decay is worse than it looks on the xray (the dentist says it's a way away from the pulp on the xray so a filling should be fine but they can be surprising) and I'm so scared of having to lose yet another tooth.

I'm having aches from the other side of my mouth now and he said there might be decay on the opposite wisdom tooth but it's hard to tell so he's watching it, its really twinging a lot. I just had a professional clean and fluoride treatment so hopefully that'll help for the future but I'm terrified of other problems surfacing and this anxiety never going away, it's honestly depressing and making me wonder if anything is worth this much misery ?

I've come to the conclusion that teeth are just a pain-in-the-butt. No other body part requires so much maintenance and upkeep. They're like owning a car. They're the only body part that doesn't give you a warning pain when they're first being compromised; even the smallest of paper cuts on your finger will hurt, but teeth don't. Is it the actual having to have things physically done or the anxiety of needing more in the future that makes you so unhappy? I understand that, because I worry about my teeth every day. I've found that sometimes determining which it is at the moment helps a little.

I've come to the conclusion that teeth are just a pain-in-the-butt. No other body part requires so much maintenance and upkeep. They're like owning a car. They're the only body part that doesn't give you a warning pain when they're first being compromised; even the smallest of paper cuts on your finger will hurt, but teeth don't. Is it the actual having to have things physically done or the anxiety of needing more in the future that makes you so unhappy? I understand that, because I worry about my teeth every day. I've found that sometimes determining which it is at the moment helps a little.
It's like, I'm just so paranoid now every little twinge or anything that feels different and I immediately panic now, I'm so scared of losing more teeth or things going wrong without me knowing and causing infection and just, I'm so hyperaware of it! I'm looking after my teeth a lot better than I used to but I'm just noticing a bunch of things lately that dont seem right and getting aches and twinges and it's exhausting to my brain ? you're right, teeth are all or nothing lol you don't have any issues for years and suddenly it's everything at once

It's like, I'm just so paranoid now every little twinge or anything that feels different and I immediately panic now, I'm so scared of losing more teeth or things going wrong without me knowing and causing infection and just, I'm so hyperaware of it! I'm looking after my teeth a lot better than I used to but I'm just noticing a bunch of things lately that dont seem right and getting aches and twinges and it's exhausting to my brain ? you're right, teeth are all or nothing lol you don't have any issues for years and suddenly it's everything at once

I'm exactly the same with twinges and such!!! Fortunately (I think), it's a 90-minute trip each way to go to my dentist, who I really like. If it were closer or I were rich, I'd probably be running in there all the time. Although I think if I were rich, I'd worry less. But I'm like that too: To me, every twinge is the beginning of the end of my teeth. And from there I go to how no one will hire me without teeth, etc. ...:):)

I'm exactly the same with twinges and such!!! Fortunately (I think), it's a 90-minute trip each way to go to my dentist, who I really like. If it were closer or I were rich, I'd probably be running in there all the time. Although I think if I were rich, I'd worry less. But I'm like that too: To me, every twinge is the beginning of the end of my teeth. And from there I go to how no one will hire me without teeth, etc. ...:):)
Yeah omg I'm trying not to get to the stage where I'm so bad ill be phoning them every week freaking out and annoying them, I know teeth take a while to develop anything really bad and the dentists know what they're doing but I'm still always like what if they missed something? What if this thing gets super bad and they won't be able to save the tooth? I'm hoping in time I'll calm down as I receive regular checkups ?

Yeah omg I'm trying not to get to the stage where I'm so bad ill be phoning them every week freaking out and annoying them, I know teeth take a while to develop anything really bad and the dentists know what they're doing but I'm still always like what if they missed something? What if this thing gets super bad and they won't be able to save the tooth? I'm hoping in time I'll calm down as I receive regular checkups ?
I hear ya. HUG. If it makes you feel better, my teeth have been stable for 25 years. Just a hole in a crown fixed in that time. And that's after extensive work in my 20s and 30s. So they can stabilize. Sometimes I realize I don't worry about twinges in any other body part, but I do in teeth. And like other body parts, it's probably normal to feel things in them.

I am the same I have to go every 3 months for checkups not because I have bad teeth, it just a overcrowding problem I have, and I worry a lot, I still live at home with my parents because of my disability,,

Its cause arguments with my parents that I am always complaining about how poor the lighting and size of miror (we are doing something about the mirror) and changing the sink size, I did not cause the crack by sitting in it

I don't want to lose my teeth, I been through a few fillings and crowns, I would love to cover up my stains with crowns,

My Dad suggested implants, I told him for me to have implants and last for a long time, I need a good strong light and mirror so I can see where i am brushing.

I use a special toothbush and have an electric toothbrsh my dad dos help me brush my teeth once per day during the afternoon.

Back