• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Obsessing about orthodontics

J

Jen615

Hi all!
I finally went back to the dentist after decades, and everything is going really well. I really appreciate everyone's support and I have only minor issues to fix.
HOWEVER, it has now come to my attention how orthodontically messed up I am (probably should have braces as a kid, but I doubt my parents could have afforded them). I am going to see an orthodontist in June after getting my other stuff done.
Question is, does ANYONE else on here have an open bite or any experience with such a thing? I am perplexed about mine, as both parents have told me I barely sucked my thumb even as an infant. I do not appear to have a deformed jaw-at least I don't THINK so. I don't have any problems speaking or eating, but now I am obsessed with the stupid open bite. It is not practical to have jaw realignment surgery with six weeks off work and activity.
Thanks in advance-this group has helped me so much! Ha, at least I only had two cavities after thirty years...

Not sure about your issue but I have become obsessed with oral hygiene ever since my former hygienist told me I was not brushing properly and taught me how to do it. I do not see her anymore because I have left the practice but as my teeth are not as good as they could or should be, I want to do all I can to stop them getting worse

The orthodontist will be able to assess if your case can be fixed with braces alone or if you have any jaw discrepancies where bite issues can only be fully addressed with a jaw surgery. There are a number of people who got treatment for open bites sharing their journeys on youtube, you can try search them up and get more information about what to expect.

I personally don't have an open bite, but I had a pretty large deep overbite that I have since been in braces for 21 months now to correct. Before getting braces, apart from making me feel self-conscious, my bite never bothered me functionally. But I did notice my lower front teeth have more excessive wear than other teeth which is kinda to be expected in an over bite.

For me, I would say braces have been worth it. So I would say, if you are inclined to correct your open bite, go for it!

Thanks grumpybear-this helped a lot! The surgery is pretty much a NO WAY for me-if that was the only option I guess I will just suck it up and live with it. I have no problem with chewing or speaking and no pain. I also can't really afford to take six weeks off work, and the thought of not exercising for that long sends me into a pit of depression. Not to mention I would probably have to come up with $15K out of pocket-doubt insurance would cover this since I am not having problems. I HAVE encountered quite a few people on various support groups who have had success with braces. I don't need a perfect smile-just improvement.
I will see the orthodontist in June and post an update after!
:)

Not sure about your issue but I have become obsessed with oral hygiene ever since my former hygienist told me I was not brushing properly and taught me how to do it. I do not see her anymore because I have left the practice but as my teeth are not as good as they could or should be, I want to do all I can to stop them getting worse
I think all of us here are obsessed with teeth issues in some way! Thanks for your reply!

Hi,

I truly believe that dentistry should be conservative, meaning that if you have no problem with chewing, speaking and smiling, don’t touch!
The purpose of treatment is to improve the patient’s life, not adjust life to the dental text book.
That is at least my opinion, other dentists might think differently...

Thanks Dr. Daniel-your response is very helpful! I don't smile with my teeth showing mostly due to the open bite, which I'd like to fix. However, since I don't have problems with eating, speaking, or breathing, I doubt insurance would cover the surgery, and it is not something I want to go through. I have an appointment with an orthodontist who believes in conservative treatments as well-I will be happy with IMPROVEMENT, so guessing braces or Invisalign will be able to do something for me. I will post in June after I see her! (The open bite is not that big btw.)