• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Odd issue when flossing

• Thread starter The Lone Wanderer
  • Start date
T

The Lone Wanderer

Okay, so I had a nightmare tooth filling. I had a tooth filled, and it was too high and causing me pain. I had it smoothed out, and I was able to eat, but it was not smoothed on the side in between the teeth. (is it a thing in the USA as I was born in NZ and if something like that happened they would shave between my teeth, in a manner of speaking.) I floss one side of the tooth and the floss is getting stuck to something on the side/in between the teeth almost halfway up the tooth. It bleeds, and it gives me the sensation that my tooth has moved. I push on it and it doesn't move. I misidentified it as being the tooth on the opposite side that has a crown. My mouth is very small so its hard to open wide and I am visually impaired. I finally got a good look and figured out it was the tooth that was filled. I am afraid the dentist won't believe me now as I told her it was my crown. (this issue started at the late end of May 2020 and she saw me and gave me aclean bill of health on June 18th) She says that it could be due to grinding and I need to wear my night guard (this was before I made the discovery just now) I am going to call and make an appointment in the morning. Has anyone ever heard of this issue before?

P.S. I wonder if the filling may have failed. The dentist says everything in my mouth is fine.

It happens sometimes, the filling has a small rough area or is not quite properly smoothed into the tooth. Shouldn't take a minute or so to fix it, so don't be worried about mentioning it.

It happens sometimes, the filling has a small rough area or is not quite properly smoothed into the tooth. Shouldn't take a minute or so to fix it, so don't be worried about mentioning it.

Gordon, thank you so much! Can you advise why it feels like something is moving? Also, it is damn near impossible to get the floss out from between the tooth when I floss. I brought a waterpik. Do you think they work?

Again, thank you for putting my mind at ease. I have had similar issues, but I may have to find a new dentist as she looked blankly at me when I asked if she could shave the side of the filling down in between my teeth.

Best guess is that the floss is getting so hung up that you're moving the tooth around a bit with it.
No, I don't think much of waterpiks, I've never read a study that showed them doing anything useful. Have you tried a TePe brush instead of floss?

No, but I'll check it out.

*Update*

I went to the dentist on Thursday for a new crown and told her that after refilling the tooth, floss is still getting stuck and my tooth/gum bleeds because I have to pull so hard to get the flossing stick out. She looked at the tooth and told me it was fine, but I made the mistake of getting the stick flosser instead of the string and it happened again.

To describe the sensation. I slip the floss up between the teeth and it is instantly hooked on something. I feel something moving and I am terrified I am going to pull out my own tooth it is stuck so bad. Once I get the floss out, it feels like something has shifted and wants to come out. I push on the tooth with my tongue then the sensation goes away.

Could it be tartar, and if so, any tips on getting it out. I told the hygenist last time and she claims she could not see anything, but my teeth are very close together, (and I have a small mouth) but it looks like the tooth next to it overlaps it a little. I am also considering braces, but I don't know if it is worth it at 36.

I am at my wit's end with worry and I don't know what else I can do.

Did your dentist check with the floss or just took a look at the tooth?

Did your dentist check with the floss or just took a look at the tooth?
The first time i complained about it she did and found it catching so she refilled it and it's still doing it. It feels like it's catching in the exact same spot. But the weird thing is she flossed after the filling and it didn't catch on anything so maybe I'm flossing wrong?

This time she as in Thursday she did not check with floss.

Back