• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Off for emergency treatment today

N

northern lass

Am off to see new dentist for emergnecy treatment at 3pm today.
Sadly because I have left it I haven't been able to meet the dentist or do any of the pre-visit things I'd have wanted to.

Am in such pain from allowing a broken tooth to just rot in my mouth. And my face is now swollen. Am so ashamed and terrified of all the other work which will also need to be done.

Do you think I can say please can we focus on getting me out of pain today I can't cope with anything else?

What a mess. I can't stop crying

thanks all

You mustn't beat yourself up over this; we have all been there.

I have just posted about my wobbley broken tooth and how my cheek is all bruised inside from it - doesnt sound good.

Really hope all goes well for you at the dentist; will be thinking of you.

thank you for your kind words and i do hope you feel better soon too. this website has really helped me realise I may not be a complete loon who dreams/ day dreams / obsesses about the state of her teeth constantly and feels really scaredI hope the dentist today is kind and patient and not judgemental. If he/she is I will post all the info on the site for friends to see fingers crossed

Do you know if this new dentist offers any sedation? That might make the appointment alot easier for you.:hug2:

Hey-- I've done exactly that myself before. I went into a dentist a few years ago with one tooth that was absolutely KILLING me. I had several other problem teeth at the time, but none of them were causing me pain. I was in so much pain that I had to do something, but I didn't have the guts (or the money!) to handle anything more than getting rid of that one tooth at that time. I explained the situation to a dentist that I had just picked because she was so close to my house, and she seemed perfectly agreeable to doing only what I asked her to do, nothing more. (I can't say I liked the oral surgeon at that office who removed the tooth!!!! but that wasn't the dentist's fault and has no bearing on my point here.)

I think it's part of the whole "paying customer" thing.... They don't have some sort of mystical power to compel you to do things. They're working professionals, and it's in everyone's best interests to provide their clients with what they want and need. Hopefully, your new dentist will be as reasonable.

In a way, you can use this as sort of a "test run" of the new place.... You need that one tooth taken care of to get you out of pain, and that takes priority. After that's done, though, then you'll have a good idea of how you feel about this place, and whether or not you would feel comfortable going back to gradually get some more things done-- and prevent finding yourself back in misery one day with another tooth!

It was hard for me initially to go have work done on teeth that weren't currently causing me any trouble... But now, it's a nice feeling to know that I'm doing everything I can to prevent it, and I have a place to go if it DOES happen.

Keep us posted!!!! :grouphug:

Sorry I didnt see your message this morning so I could wish you all the best. Do hope that it went well, you are out of pain now. Do let us know how it all went.:grouphug:

I, too, hope that everything went well today. :)

Need to work myself up to next visit

Well I went to new dentist as emergency yesterday.
I was nearly sick on going in the room but he was calm.
My hideous abscess needs antibiotics which I starting taking teatime and now the pain is going thank goodness.
The tooth may need to go.
Next week I have appoitment for full xrays / assessment.
How do I find a way to not think about this all the time?
I will need so much done with broken teeth etc that am sure this is when he will say you should have come before
Also - am scared that I will crumble and once this pain/infection has gone I'll put off going again.
How do others make themselves go?
(thank you everyone)

Re: Need to work myself up to next visit

With a little help from our friends!!! Our fellow phobics here on the forum, that is. You'll see-- it makes a LOT of difference to know that you're not alone anymore, and to have a place to come where it's safe to talk about all of these things that others might not understand.

I'm really glad to hear that your dentist was calm, despite your extreme discomfort at being there. That's a good thing-- he's not going to get freaked out just because you're afraid or in pain. His job is to help in any way he can, you know? Once he's had a good look at your teeth and a set of x-rays, the two of you will be able to work together, one step at a time, to get your mouth healthy and pain-free. :)

It doesn't have to be a horrible experience anymore. I hope you've been reading our stories about the things we've already had done so far... You might notice that we all seem to come out just fine in the end!!! More than that, you'll also notice that the person telling their story is almost invariably proud of themself for having finally done it, totally thrilled with having a healthy mouth!

It can be hard along the way, and we all get scared when the time comes. But we help each other through it, and we usually turn up later that day saying something like, "Well it's over-- and I'm alive!!" :grouphug:

I agree 100% with what charity has said. I was almost a quarter of a century( sounds quite good that) between dental visits. I would say you have conquered the worst part already, GETTING IN THE DOOR! The very first time is absolutely the worst, in my opinion. And know what? It felt like a huge weight had been lifted from me, honestly. I was sooooooooooo ashamed of how my teeth were and that I had let that happen. But with all the support I got on here I went, I went back again, and again, and was sucessfully treated in Feb of this year, was a long journey and am almost at the end of it now. You can do it, everyone here will support you and help you through anything they can. You are not alone, we have all been exactly where you are, so dont ever feel you cant come here for support, its here 24/7 :grouphug:

Thank you both so much for your supportive replies.
I will try to keep thinking positively over the next week as I work myself up to Tuesday.
It's the complete shame and fear that is so overwhelming. Sometimes I can think of nothing else. As you say I need to remind myself as you say that I have made the first step.
Thanks again.
I've felt like a scared and bonkers obsessed woman up to now! thanks

Thank you both so much for your supportive replies.
I will try to keep thinking positively over the next week as I work myself up to Tuesday.
It's the complete shame and fear that is so overwhelming. Sometimes I can think of nothing else. As you say I need to remind myself as you say that I have made the first step.
Thanks again.
I've felt like a scared and bonkers obsessed woman up to now! thanks

The vast majority of dental phobics feel shame at how their teeth appear and can be completely overwhelmed by that in itself. ITs like swings and roundabouts, you cant go to the dentist because of the phobia and then as the condition of teeth deteriorates because of that the shame is there to contend with as well. Try to understand the dentist will not judge or scold you about this. If you have a really good caring dentist that you can trust, and you feel at ease with, you will be able to explain your fears and worries. the dentist is there to help you overcome this and get your teeth healthy again.

Keep in touch
Rosey:)

I feel your pain having had an abscess some years back, it was awful and I was living off painkillers. I was so glad to get the tooth fixed just to get rid or the pain.

OK - visit number 2 in years and years...today at 10am!!

Dear All

Hope everyone is well and no-one in pain.

I am off for my second visit in years and years ...this morning.

Last week I had to go in huge pain and got x2 antibiotics. The abcess 'seems' to have cleared and now I'm off for x-rays etc.

I am really really scared that the dentist will really tell me off for the state of my teeth and I feel almost sick with shame and fear.

I don't want to back out of going. I have to keep reminding myself that a lot of you guys have faced this. And that I don't want this to rule my bl***y life any more.

Why am I just as scared at visit number 2?

Re: OK - visit number 2 in years and years...today at 10am!!

Probably because you didn't have any treatment at Visit No 1 - it takes time to build up trust and rapport with a new dentist even if you are not a nervous patient.

I found your other thread (I might merge them for ease of reference for others if I get time) and you just described your dentist as calm....you didn't say much else.

Did you warm to him at all? Did he acknowledge your fear? No matter go along and build that relationship today....if the antibiotics have worked there is no better time to get this tooth sorted out once and for all.

You can do it and the rest will seem easier in comparison I'm sure.
Good luck :grouphug:
PS If he wasn't judgemental last week....he's unlikely to be so this week....they know making patients feel bad doesn't encourage repeat business so it's rare for them to do it these days.

Best of luck for your second visit today. It's normal that you are still feeling anxiety, as Brit mentioned it may take some time to develop a trusting relationship with your dentist. While my anxiety has lessened a bit over my many appointments the last two years I still find myself getting nervous for my check-ups. It's hard to let go of a fear that has built up over decades but hopefully each visit will allow it to ease a bit more. You may even be one of the lucky ones who finds it goes away rather quickly once you've gone a few times. :thumbsup:

I hope that everything goes well for you today. Sending you lots of positive thoughts!!!

:grouphug:

Back