• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Off I go...

I feel like a mess already. Having doubts at the minute and part of me wants to do this and the other half wants to bury my head in the sand and avoid it. I don't know whether it's a coincidence or what but ever since I made the appointment, my wisdom teeth have been playing up :cry: I don't even know if I'll be able to get myself to my appointment on Wednesday. The appointment is like late morning/midday and I'm at work beforehand. So if I have to go to work I'll have to leave the house. But I'm worried I'll get to where the practice is at and just not be able to go through the door :( Everyone who I've been in touch with from this practice has been lovely, and I know Wednesday should be alright. The dentist is aware that I'm nervous and he will help me on the day, I've assured, but I'm still so worried about it.

You can do this, Frostgirl, no matter how hard it might seem right now. If you won't get through the door, I am sure they will pick you up outside! :)

Thank you Enarete. I'm sure that they'll probably see me stood frozen at the door. Hopefully I'll be able to go in. I feel a bit better now, but I still a bit nervous about how it will go. But I want to do this for myself. I want to get into the routine of going to a dentist regularly. I know I will be alright on Wednesday, it's just making it to Wednesday without going to pieces is the hard bit.

Frost girl, I know a hygenist who is very anxious friendly, I was talking to her one day asking her some questions as an anxious patient she told me the story of a gal who made several appts and then the last one she sat in her car. They noticed and called her and she said. 'May I come out and walk in with you , we'd love to see you" or something like this. and the gal ended up coming in and has been long time patient since and felt very much at ease after initially getting through the door.. I still think even if you have the best dentist in the world and you totally love them.. well its still hard to walk through the door.. I always have to do my breathing excercises and very kind self talk to get me there.. then when I do Im so much better after I see my dentist. I so believe this is giong to be amazing for you , they sound wonderful and very kind!!

Hey frostgirl,
Was thinking about you this week. Congrats on making the appointment.

Earlier you mentioned that the office was 16 miles away. I don't think this is unusual at it may seem. While researching places for myself, there were a couple reviews for different practices saying that the reviewer had moved across town or to another city but they were willing to travel to see a specific dentist. Other things like cost or availability can push people to travel. A couple of years ago I was given a referral for a dermatologist. If I wanted to be seen in my city it was a "3-6 month" wait or I could drive 20 miles to be seen in a month. Bet you can guess what option I took.

Try to be extra kind to yourself this week. The only thing that I know of that helps with the pre-appointment anxiety is to immerse yourself in something you like for a temporary distraction. Could be anything from watching a tv series, reading, video games or something creative like cooking, music, crafts, etc.

The last time I had a new patient appointment years ago I froze after crossing the threshold so I know how that feels. I have confidence in you that you can do it. Maybe play some inspiring or empowering music during your drive to the appointment? ?

Last edited:
Based on everything you have shared so far about this practice, I have a really good feeling about your upcoming appointment on Wednesday. I think you are going to be in very good hands and they are most certainly worth the drive. I moved away to a few different locations for several years at a time and kept my dentist because I wasn’t willing to start over with someone new. The first location was 65 miles away (for 1 1/2 years) and the second location was 35 miles away (for 3 years). I now live locally again but it was worth the drive to keep her!

Thank you guys, it means a lot to me to know that I have somewhere to share my worries on :XXLhug:

I'm going to take your advice Sol and try to be kind to myself for the few days left between now and my appointment. I think I will finish watching the final series of Orange is the New Black and try to read some more of the book I've been reading for a while. Definitely going to put some empowering music on my phone to listen to in the car on my way there.

I'm at work everyday between now and Wednesday, so at least I won't be sat at home worrying for too long.

Oh god. It's hit me that I'm actually going to do this. Oh god. Panic is setting in a bit now. Last night, part of me did want to cancel it but I thought it's too late to cancel it now. Argh. 3 days to go... :scared:

Two days to go. I'm oddly calm at the minute, I'm not getting myself to worked up about it. This will probably change later on today or tomorrow. I just hope if I can get myself there, that I can go through the door. Wednesday should go alright, I got a really good impression from the people I've been in touch with so far, so I should be in good hands.

I got a reminder text message this morning. My nerves are starting to rise a bit more now. Tomorrow I could be a complete mess, but I think I might be alright.

I'm more anxious about how Wednesday will go. Everyone I've spoken to from this practice has been lovely, so I should be in good hands. I'm just worried that I'll have a panic attack or not be able to talk. Argh :confused:

I feel like a mess already. I had such a distressing dream last night, I don't know whether my anxiety about tomorrow has caused it or stress from work has caused it.

I woke up in the early hours of this morning and I wanted to cancel my appointment tomorrow but I thought it's too late now so I'll have to go through with it. I can't believe I'm doing I'm going to go through with it. This is a big thing for me, because if it goes well tomorrow, I'll hopefully have a practice I can go to get into the routine of going to a dentist regularly. I want to do this but I don't at the same time.

You are so close frostgirl! Just hang in there for a little bit longer! I have a feeling after you get to meet the staff face to face you will feel so much better about things as they have always been lovely in correspondences leading up to the appointment! It sounds like you are set up for success and there is no better practice to start your journey with. Just trust in the process and try to remember to breathe.

Thanks Kitkat, I needed that. I have a good feeling about how tomorrow will go, but I'm still nervous. Not a lot at the minute, but I will be in the morning.

It will be nice to meet them face to face tomorrow. Hopefully it will go well :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted on how it all goes!

Hi frostgirl! Just catching up on your story, and you totally got this. I’ll be in your boat on Tuesday next week. It sounds like you have found yourself a wonderful practice, and I am looking forward to hearing how well it goes for you. You got this. I once bought myself a baby Dory (Finding Nemo) whenever I need inspiration. So, just keep swimming, frostgirl. By tomorrow this time, I bet you’ll be feeling a million times better and more relieved. :)

You now: :frantic:
You tomorrow after your appointment: :cloud9:

Thanks guys :XXLhug:

I've got to go to work for a bit this morning before my appointment so that will hopefully keep my mind distracted. I'm starting to feel a bit shaky now, I'll probably be a lot more nervous by the time I finish work. Oh god, I can't believe I'm doing this.

I did it! :yay:

I'll post more when I get home in a bit, but it went so well :grin:

:jump::jump::jump: Take a good rest. Look forward to read details :)

I honestly don't know how I did it but I managed to get myself there, and I managed to go into the practice. I met one of the nurses when I got there, and she was so lovely. She was very reassuring, she managed to get me to calm down a bit. I had to sit and wait but it was only for a few minutes.

Then a different nurse came and collected me. She showed me through to the room, and I met the dentist. He was so lovely and calming. We just had a chat first before anything happened. He knew I was nervous, and he asked if I had any bad experiences in the past, I explained that I hadn't been to the dentist much as a child and that I managed to take myself to one two years ago but I freaked myself out too much to go back. He was so understanding. I knew beforehand that if I'm not comfortable with something I can withdraw my consent at any time, but he explained to me that I'm in charge, if I don't want to do something, I can say no. This was really good to know and this helped a little bit. As well, before anything happened, he asked me what I do for a job and I said I work in a DIY/Hardware store and we just had a little chat about random DIY items, this really helped calm me down a bit more.

Then came the time for him to have a look. I liked how he let me press the button to recline the chair back a bit, made me feel like I was in control. It really helped a lot that he explained what he was going to do before he did it. This seemed like a much more thorough check up than my last one. He checked my jaw joint, and along my jawline for any tenderness. Then he checked my teeth and gums. Throughout all of this, he was explaining what he was going to do and constantly asking how I was doing. He took a few xrays, and then we had another chat. I don't have any problems at all. I like how involved I was made to feel because he actually showed me my xrays and explained what was what. There's one tiny area that could turn into decay, he said, but I just need to monitor how frequently I eat sugary things. He recommended that I have a clean to help get rid of the build up on my teeth, because my gums did bleed in a few areas when he checked them.

So I'm going back next week to have my teeth cleaned, and then after that, I have to go back in February for another check up. I've been assured that they will let the hygienist know how nervous I am, but I can imagine that I'll be in good hands. I can't believe I actually did it. I'm shocked. And I got myself so worked up with nerves, when it was actually quite relaxed and not as nerve wracking as I imagined.

Now I just need a nap because my 5am wake up today is catching up on me ?

I'm still in shock that I did it. All of the worrying I did was for nothing. Everyone there was very nice and caring, I think I'm in good hands with this practice.

I'm a bit nervous about next week, but I'm sure that I'll be okay :)

Back