• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Off I go...

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frostgirl,

You are doing great and I fully believe you will be so fine, however remember it is so normal to still be a little nervous, and as you get to know them more and feel more and more comfortable the less anxiousyou may be. :) I knew my dentist for 2 years and loved him before he left but was still nervous everytime,just to a lesser and lesser degree.. also depending on what we were doing and how long it had been between appts.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
I second every word krlovesherkids777 said.

For some reasons, people who have been scared of the dentist for ages assume that one or two positive experiences would make the fear disappear and then they sometimes get discouraged and full of self-doubts when finding out it is not the case. Those things really need time. The fact that your teeth are healthy and therefore you need to see your dentist only every 6 months, is working a bit against you here.

There is no such thing as "realistic" or not. How you feel is simply how you feel and that's ok. If you can, allow yourself to go with the waves and honor whatever feeling is there.

Fingers crossed for your appointment, do let us know how it went :)

F

frostgirl

Thank you both of you.

I am starting to feel a bit more nervous now, and I know that this is just part of the process.

I seem to be constantly worried and paranoid that I have chipped or broken one of my teeth. I know this is not normal and I need to stop overthinking every time I eat something a bit hard :shame:

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nervousness is very normal! I have been with my dentist for 16 years and after many lovely experiences, I still get nervous! The difference for me is that I used to stay nervous the whole time I was there now I usually relax once I see my dentist because I know that I am in good hands. Usually I will relax a few minutes into treatment starting and am fine the rest of the time as long as all goes smoothly. You’ve got this!

F

frostgirl

Thanks Kitkat, I do hope I can reach that point some day. I know my appointment on Friday should go alright, but I still probably will be nervous the whole time I'm there. Thanks again

F

frostgirl

Panic is starting to set in now. Oh god. My appointment is in Friday morning. I can't believe I'm actually going to go to it.

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
The waiting really is the worst part of this whole process to endure. You are nearly there...once you get into the office you will be over that hurdle and smooth sailing! Hang in there a little longer! :XXLhug: I look forward to reading how well things go. In a few more hours, you will be wondering why you were so worried. Be extra kind to yourself today.

F

frostgirl

Thanks Kitkat, I'll definitely update after my appointment tomorrow. But your right, waiting is the hardest bit. Once I'm at the office and in the door, I think I'll start to settle bit slightly. I've just got to get myself there tomorrow and then I'll be fine, I think. I'm starting to panic a bit slightly but I'm feeling alright :thumbsup:

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be thinking of you tomrorow @frostgirl !! I think sometimes the worst is the drive over to getting in the door then it settles down for me.. Hope it all goes great!! :grouphug:

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thinking of you frostgirl, may all go well today! Hope you were able to get some sleep.

F

frostgirl

I did manage to get some sleep, Enarete, but I kept on waking up a lot of times.

Nerves are starting to kick in a bit more now :o

Will update later after my appointment in a few hours time.

F

frostgirl

I did it! Woop, woop! :yay:

I knew once I got there I would start to settle down a bit more but it was nice to not feel as nervous as I did last time. My cleaning went great, and then I did have to sit and wait for a bit, which did make my nerves go up a little bit. My check up went well as well, my nerves were at a lower level than last time. No problems at all, so I'll be back in 6 months time.

It felt so nice to be actually be able to chat with them all, instead of being only able to give short replies because I'm so nervous.

All that worrying was for nothing 😂