• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Off I go...

F

frostgirl

I keep trying to tell myself that I will be fine on Tuesday and everyone that I've met there so far is lovely and reassuring and calming, that I will be in good hands with them. But I feel so anxious still. I think I'm mostly worried about bad news and I worry that I won't be able to cope with the treatment and the noises as well are also worrying me. Hopefully there's nothing wrong but I am really worried about the discomfort near the place where my last wisdom tooth is meant to come through. Hopefully that it's nothing serious and that I'm just being an anxious mess πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜”

I've just got to remind myself that I will be fine. I've just got to focus on getting there, that's all I need to worry about now.

T

thisisme

I keep trying to tell myself that I will be fine on Tuesday and everyone that I've met there so far is lovely and reassuring and calming, that I will be in good hands with them. But I feel so anxious still. I think I'm mostly worried about bad news and I worry that I won't be able to cope with the treatment and the noises as well are also worrying me. Hopefully there's nothing wrong but I am really worried about the discomfort near the place where my last wisdom tooth is meant to come through. Hopefully that it's nothing serious and that I'm just being an anxious mess πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜”

I've just got to remind myself that I will be fine. I've just got to focus on getting there, that's all I need to worry about now.
My hygienist asked if I was less anxious because I see my ortho so much and I said no because that’ appointment is about progress and not problems, and she said that she can have the dentist come in the beginning of the appointment, instead of the end, so I don’t have to think about it all visit. You may want to ask that. I think once you get that part out of the way, your appointment will be a breeze!

You were there six months ago with no major concerns and it sounds like you take good care of your teeth. I still worry every appointment but you got this.

F

frostgirl

Thank you @thisisme

I normally always see the dentist first, and then the hygienist, I've only had it once the other way around, so I don't have to spend the whole time worrying. I normally do tend to settle down a bit after I get there and then once the dentist has had a look I calm down a bit more. I know I should be fine, I think it's the anticipation getting to me πŸ˜”

Thank again though

F

frostgirl

At least by this time tomorrow, my appointment will be long over and done with. I'm feeling alright today, still a bit anxious/worried but I'm feeling a lot better about it today

F

frostgirl

Just getting ready to set off in a bit and I feel so nauseous πŸ™ Hopefully everything goes well 🀞

F

frostgirl

And I'm done.

It was completely fine. My anxiety level went up a little bit when I got there but I started to settle down. Check up went well, but for my first time for being tipped back in the chair, I was a bit light headed when I was upright again (normally stay upright) πŸ˜… Actually managed to mention the discomfort I had the other week and he doesn't seem concerned after he had a look. My cleaning went well too, even though its still hand scaling, and there was moments were I was like, argh, it was fine. I saw a different hygienist this time and she seemed pleased with my routine, which is good too. So that's another positive experience for me to help ease my anxiety. I go back in August πŸ˜€

It was also really nice to not be a nervous wreck and have an actual conversation, which did help ease my nervousness, as having someone chatting away about something unrelated to teeth when they're in my mouth makes it a hell of a lot easier.

And breath πŸ˜…

F

frostgirl

I just still can't believe how nice and friendly everyone at this practice is. It does make it easier for me to go because I know they are all lovely and friendly. I mean, I will probably still have my freak-outs before I go, see any of my posts from the past few weeks πŸ˜† But I'm shocked at myself for managing to go for routine appointments for a year and a half now, nearly two years. I appreciate the support from everyone who's helped me on here :thankyou: (I know I've said this before but I'll say it again)

S

StephscaredAF

I've just read your entire journey. Wow. Congrats to you!! Tysm for your kind words on mine as well. Maybe one day soon, thru many many tears, ill be there too. πŸ’•

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heyyy, Frostgirl! I totally missed getting to you and at least wishing you good luck, sorry! What a lovely success story. Can you see how much progress you are making over time? Having a conversation, being tipped back for the exam.. :wow:and your dental team sounds awesome. And after all, you know, it’s ok to be scared. If you had an appointment every day (which probably would be a nightmare), you may stop being worried pretty soon, because everything would be familiar, but with an appointment every 6 months, it goes more slowly so there still may be some anxiety before an apt. Hope you can remember this nice visit when you go in in August:)

F

frostgirl

Thanks Enarete πŸ˜ƒ

My dental team are really great, everyone there is so lovely and it does help take away some of my nervousness. I just need to bare these positive experiences in mind and I've got to try and forget about my next visit πŸ™‚