• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Off I go...

Frost girl..

OH I can so identify.. first to just sit and stare at the phone to make an appt.. and would say.. ok on break I will do it.. then I couldn't , then ok. on lunch.. then .. ok tomorrow.. and it really is hard to make that step of calling. Its stepping out of your comfort zone and one step closer to the chair.. and I know for me having anxiety part of it is fear of rejection.. and I would even fear that the dentist or staff would not want me to call or reject me somehow which is totally untrue. but very real to me..

Oh this is me so much. I sit and I think about ringing and I put it off. I think 'oh, I'll ring on the afternoon' then the afternoon has gone by and I think 'oh I'll ring tomorrow'. I never can manage to ring. With me, I always feel like the receptionist is going to judge me because I can't speak calmly when on the phone. I know that they won't, but I'm always worried that they will.

Anyways. one day.. I was thinking all those what ifs.. omg.. like terrible. like what if they switch the dentist on me and give me one I don't know..? what if something is dropped and I choke, what if they thought I was just awful and worst teeth ever, what if.. I had my whole mouth of teeth gone and in full dentures in my thoughts. then I thought.. BuT.. WHAT.. if I call and they are very kind to me and reassure me and help ease my anxiety. What if the dentist doesn't hate me or reject me and I can learn to have a trusting relationship with a dentist who cares and wants the best for me ? What if they show me I have alot less to fear than I think..? What if my prognosis and what needs to be done is alot less ? What if the dentist does not judge me but has compassion and does not shame me at all?

Thanks for this. I've go to try and think positively like you've put it.

Well. For you.. it could be.. What if you go and find out you don't need the teeth removed at all ? and what if you did? but your dentist was an expert and you didn't feel a thing and overcame your fear of anesthetic? What if your dentist was so careful you didn't even know what was happening? What if you had a dentist that knew how to put you to ease where you didn't have a panic attack but felt calm ? What if you did but you got the opportunity to learn there are compassionate professionals to help you through even if you did.. ? sound idealistic..? maybe.. but. I can tell you .. I have finally have the positive what ifs come true and I want to encourage others they can too!

I know.... its hard... we are all here for you.. no matter if it takes 100 times to call .. no matter if you go 5x and even chicken out.. one step at a time. you can do it and when you do you will see it can be worth it.. no matter what . we're here. :).

Thanks krlovesherkids777 it means a lot to me. It really does. I'm going to take the weekend to try and calm down and not to worry about the what ifs. And on Monday I'll try and ring and make appointment. Thanks :)

I still haven't managed to call.

I think I might just leave it for now. The dentist did say I could get away with only going once a year, so I'm going to just leave it until September/October before I ring to make an appointment. If anything comes up before then and I'm in pain, I will definitely make an appointment before then.

I'm just scared :(

Thank you for the update, frostgirl. There are no rights or wrongs, the only thing to take care of is your emotional state. If making an appointment feels too overwhelming at the moment, then just letting it go for some time is a good idea. The only thing I hope is that it won‘t be even harder to call them in September.
All the best wishes and take care and may things go smoothly and easily for you soon :XXLhug:

Thank you for the update, frostgirl. There are no rights or wrongs, the only thing to take care of is your emotional state. If making an appointment feels too overwhelming at the moment, then just letting it go for some time is a good idea. The only thing I hope is that it won‘t be even harder to call them in September.
All the best wishes and take care and may things go smoothly and easily for you soon :XXLhug:

Thanks Enarete :XXLhug:

They've sent another reminder today. I might ring if I feel okay to do so, but I'm not sure.

Well my wisdom teeth are hurting again. I keep getting panicked thinking something is wrong, so I want to try and make an appointment to hopefully put my fears at ease. And they keep reminding me that I'm due for a check up. Hm. I don't know :(

I'm having a bit of a problem with my wisdom teeth lately. One keeps rubbing against the side of my mouth. And one of them has a strange taste coming from it and it hurts to chew on that side sometimes. Nothing too painful, but it hurts occasionally. So I'm going to try and make an appointment to get it checked out soon. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'm going to try and not get myself worked up about the what ifs, I'm just going to try and make an appointment soon to see what's wrong.

Frost girl.

Soo good for you to make an appt and stop the what ifs.. its so easy to go down that trail that leads us to unkind places in our anxiety.. i know its hard to call in for that appt but will be worth it to give yourself a peace of mind and know what you are are feeling and going through and how they might help.

Good luck, frostgirl and sending you some good vibes! :hug4:

Thanks krlovesherkids777 and Enarete :XXLhug:

I've not managed to ring yet, but I think I'm going to have to ring on Monday as it seems to be getting a bit worse. Though I'm worried that I'm overreacting and I'm worried I'm going to be told that I'm being silly and overreacting (I know they won't). The best thing to do would to be get it checked out so I can finally stop worrying about it.

Thanks krlovesherkids777 and Enarete :XXLhug:

I've not managed to ring yet, but I think I'm going to have to ring on Monday as it seems to be getting a bit worse. Though I'm worried that I'm overreacting and I'm worried I'm going to be told that I'm being silly and overreacting (I know they won't). The best thing to do would to be get it checked out so I can finally stop worrying about it.

I know how hard it is, but please try to make that appointment. If your tooth has a bad taste and pain, there could be an infection. If you catch it early, you may just need antibiotics and that is an easy fix. I hate dental stuff, too and am dealing with a lot if issues at once right now, which was one of my biggest fears. If you can catch it early, it is always better!!!

I know how everyone's feeling i have anxiety and panic attacks just thinking about my teeth as well every time i went to the dentist when i was little i screamed before the doctor even touched me im even afraid cause how bad my teeth are my neck will swell up to where i cant breath i check my pulse every 15 mins to make sure im still breathing normal so this is why my teeth are as bad as they are now when i was little my mom had to chase me around the house when i was little to get me to brush my teeth an eventually she gave up so now that i have never brushed my teeth since i was like 13 years old now cause of that all my teeth are rotted badly and im afraid to go get my teeth all pulled out and get dentures cause im only 27 years old and i dont wanna be in all that pain of getting them done but i know I'm having infections in my mouth that need to get gone before it spreads to the rest of my body so im about to be brave and when my medicade gets on im gonna finally make an appointment

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to make an appointment tomorrow but I'm at work all day so I don't know if I'll get chance to. I don't want to end up with an infection but I'm scared. I don't even know what to say on the phone, because I'll need an appointment soon but it's not an emergency as I'm not in much pain, just a bit of soreness in my jaw and pain when I chew on that side. It's just the bad taste is really worrying me. Argh.

It is better to go in before the pain gets bad. If there is an infection, it could abscess in a short amount of time, then the pain could be bad! I would just call and say that you want to get a tooth/teeth checked out because there might be a possible infection. Believe me, I am the master of putting off phone calls. I have to call my dentist tomorrow as well, to get a tooth checked out that a different dentist just told me Thursday was fine. It isn't fine, and I am worried about infection, as it is super sensitive and my jaw is sore as well.

I'm terrified I've got an infection even though I'm not in much pain. It comes and goes through the day. I wake up and my throat feels a bit sore and slightly swollen. I feel under the weather and all my joints feel inflamed. I don't know whether this is related at all or I'm just coming down with something. Ugh. I'm going to have to try and force myself to ring tomorrow. I don't want to ring and I don't want to go but I think I need to :shame:

I'm terrified I've got an infection even though I'm not in much pain. It comes and goes through the day. I wake up and my throat feels a bit sore and slightly swollen. I feel under the weather and all my joints feel inflamed. I don't know whether this is related at all or I'm just coming down with something. Ugh. I'm going to have to try and force myself to ring tomorrow. I don't want to ring and I don't want to go but I think I need to :shame:

If you catch it early, you might just need antibiotics.

I didn't ring today :shame: I feel so pathetic that I can't even ring to make an appointment when I'm having a problem.

I don't know whether I'm overreacting or something is wrong.

I'm going to try and ring tomorrow.

I didn't ring today :shame: I feel so pathetic that I can't even ring to make an appointment when I'm having a problem.

I don't know whether I'm overreacting or something is wrong.

I'm going to try and ring tomorrow.

I am exactly the same way. I feel like I an overreacting and put off calling all the time. What helps me is to actually set an alarm on my phone to make the call. That way, it is more of a "to-do" chore rather than me waffling.
My dentist told me that she would much rather me come in for nothing than put it off and something serious could have been prevented. I always try to keep that in mind. Good luck!!

Frostgirl, doesn‘t your practice have an email adress? Couldn‘t you email them? It sounds like you are really struggling with the call..

I can't seem to find an email address on their website.

I'm really going to have to toughen up and ring. I'm in so much pain from all of my wisdom teeth, and my last one has decided to start coming through again. Ugh :shame:

Hi guys, just a little bit of a ramble/update:

I didn't manage to go to the dentist after I last posted. I know it's bad but I couldn't bring myself to go :/

It is nearing nearly a year since my last appointment, and I'm thinking of ringing in the next couple of weeks to make an appointment for a check up.

My mind is starting to freak out though. I'm getting so worked up thinking something is wrong, especially when I get a little bit of sensitivity, I think there's going to be something seriously wrong. I keep thinking that when I do go for a check up, they're going to find problems and I'm terrified I'm not going to be able to cope and freak out when they try to fix what's wrong.

I am getting better at making phone calls when I need to. I even managed to go to see my GP last month, I would never normally go to my GP I would just ignore the problem until it got better. I avoid them mostly because I don't like going to the doctor, and partly because my GP shares a building and a waiting room with a dentist. And I couldn't normally stand being in the same building with both. But I managed to get through it. So hopefully I'll be able to ring when I set my mind to it and book an appointment.

I'm trying not to get stressed out about thinking about somethings wrong. I've try my best not to.

Argh.

Back