• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Off I go...

Oh my God. I can't believe that I'm actually going to a dentist today. I'm starting to feel a bit shaky. I feel really nervous already and I haven't even gotten out of bed yet. Argh. In a few hours time I'll actually be there. I want to go but I'm so nervous.

Frostgirl, I would love to give you one advice that my dentist has given me: make sure you est well today so your blood glucose level is not low. Even when you don't feel like eating. I didn't want to eat before my appointment but did it finally and was very happy I did. You will have more energy and your body will be able to cope with stress better.

Take care and good luck today, I know you will do great.
Oh and enjoy your reward, the plans you have sound great:)

Thanks, I'll try to find something to eat that will fill me up and keep me going. I'm terrified right now.

Argh, I'm terrified right now

Oh god. I'm just about to head in now

Oh my fucking God. I did it. I went it. I filled out my medical history form and I was shaking. Went through, met the dentist, he was nice. He had a look and took a few x rays, and said everything was fine. Only thing he commented on was saying to try and keep my wisdom teeth clean. Fucking hell. 15 years and not a problem. He even got rid of the hardened plaque between my bottom front teeth. Did not like the noise though. Bloody hell I did it

Oh my fucking God. I did it. I went it. I filled out my medical history form and I was shaking. Went through, met the dentist, he was nice. He had a look and took a few x rays, and said everything was fine. Only thing he commented on was saying to try and keep my wisdom teeth clean. Fucking hell. 15 years and not a problem. He even got rid of the hardened plaque between my bottom front teeth. Did not like the noise though. Bloody hell I did it

Yeah!!! Cool and congrats! :jump::jump::jump: Welcome in the 'did it'-Club! This is so exciting!
And wow.. 15 years and no problem.. so you're going there in 6 months again?

Yes, I'm definitely going to get into the habit of going once every six months, even though he said I could get away with going once a year. He just said to keep doing what I'm doing, I make sure I brush twice a day and floss once a day, and he said just to focus on my wisdom teeth a bit more. I must be extremely lucky to not have any problems. Maybe my lucks changing :)

PS. My free coffee and a cake are going down very well, this is the perfect reward for going through with it :)

Last edited:
This is soooo great!! and glad to hear he was nice.. and it all went well. even better than expected!!! Now each time witll be better!!! Such great news!!!

It's such a relief. It's such a huge weight off my mind. Honestly this has been getting to me for years. I nearly didn't make it through the door, but I did it, and I can say that I did it! And now I'm thinking I was panicking for nothing.

But my bottom front teeth feel a bit strange after he cleaned them. I can't stop touching them with my tongue. They feel so different, haha

YAY!!!!!!!!! So glad to hear it went well!

Thanks guys, I can't believe I did it. And that it went well. I'm exhausted though, from my appointment and being at work after it as well, so I'm going to sleep well tonight :)

Argh. I just got a text message this morning from my dentist, saying I'm due for a check up. Oh god. I know I've got to book it, to help overcome this fear. But I'm terrified. I suppose it's a lucky coincidence since I was going to think of booking an appointment to make sure nothing's wrong with my wisdom teeth. I suppose I could bring it up when I go for my check up.

But I can't bring myself to actually book the appointment. I could even book it online without having to make a phone call. Which would be so helpful, I get so flustered making phone calls. This reminder is bringing up feelings of anxiety and worry. I know I've got to be brave and go, as it will help to go, and I know what to expect now, so that's taking some of the fear away, but I'm still quite nervous at the thought of going.

I'm just rambling :shame:

Last edited:
I'm trying to think positively about all of this. If I managed to ring and make an appointment last year, I can do it again.

Argh.

I'm trying to think positively about all of this. If I managed to ring and make an appointment last year, I can do it again.

Argh.

Sure! You needed 15 years to make the last one, now you will be much quicker which is a progress;)

Dental anxiety is not healed out of the sudden, it's normal to be nervous again and having troubles making an appointment, but it doesn't mean something is wrong.

It might be a good idea to set up a new appointment at the reception right after the dental visit next time. Feeling happy after a successful visit makes making an appointment easier then doing it later when the anxiety arises again. If I left a practice without having a date for the next appointment, I would need years to come back again.

Sending you good wishes and good vibes, you can make it:) Keep us posted.

Sure! You needed 15 years to make the last one, now you will be much quicker which is a progress;)

Dental anxiety is not healed out of the sudden, it's normal to be nervous again and having troubles making an appointment, but it doesn't mean something is wrong.

It might be a good idea to set up a new appointment at the reception right after the dental visit next time. Feeling happy after a successful visit makes making an appointment easier then doing it later when the anxiety arises again. If I left a practice without having a date for the next appointment, I would need years to come back again.

Sending you good wishes and good vibes, you can make it:) Keep us posted.

Thanks Enarete, I realise now that I should have said yes to the receptionist when she asked if I would like to make an appointment for 6 months time. I asked if I could I do it closer to the time, and she said that was fine. Though, at least they've sent me a reminder to book a check up.

I'm going to ring tomorrow and book an appointment. I'm trying not to get myself worked up thinking something is wrong. Hopefully nothing is wrong, but if there is, I'll try to think positively about it (even though I'll probably want to bury my head in the sand and not face up to it).

Argh. I just got a text message this morning from my dentist, saying I'm due for a check up. Oh god. I know I've got to book it, to help overcome this fear. But I'm terrified. I suppose it's a lucky coincidence since I was going to think of booking an appointment to make sure nothing's wrong with my wisdom teeth. I suppose I could bring it up when I go for my check up.

But I can't bring myself to actually book the appointment. I could even book it online without having to make a phone call. Which would be so helpful, I get so flustered making phone calls. This reminder is bringing up feelings of anxiety and worry. I know I've got to be brave and go, as it will help to go, and I know what to expect now, so that's taking some of the fear away, but I'm still quite nervous at the thought of going.

I'm just rambling :shame:

Woah, frostgirl, slow down a bit. We're here for you if you want to ramble, no problem! There's plenty of time, take a deep breath...

Firstly, are you sure you're ready for this appointment? Can you take someone with you who can remind you to talk to the dentist about your wisdom teeth? Can they call the dentist for you, or talk to the dentist themselves if or when you go?

You're doing so so well. I get the impression that even though you're scared you just still go at things - you feel the fear and do it anyway. Of course it's unpleasant when you're going through it but you go and you DO IT. You're so strong! Take things slow, take lots of deep breaths. One thing at a time. Think. Do you really want to go? Do you feel strong enough? Can someone go with you? Is this appointment really necessary? All those things.

We're here for you, all the time, we care about you :) :bear::bear:

Woah, frostgirl, slow down a bit. We're here for you if you want to ramble, no problem! There's plenty of time, take a deep breath...

Firstly, are you sure you're ready for this appointment? Can you take someone with you who can remind you to talk to the dentist about your wisdom teeth? Can they call the dentist for you, or talk to the dentist themselves if or when you go?

You're doing so so well. I get the impression that even though you're scared you just still go at things - you feel the fear and do it anyway. Of course it's unpleasant when you're going through it but you go and you DO IT. You're so strong! Take things slow, take lots of deep breaths. One thing at a time. Think. Do you really want to go? Do you feel strong enough? Can someone go with you? Is this appointment really necessary? All those things.

We're here for you, all the time, we care about you :) :bear::bear:

Thanks hatemyself.

I think I am ready to do this, even though I don't want to, I know it'll be for the best. I want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my wisdom teeth, they're hurting a lot lately, and there's a foul taste/smell coming from one of them.

I don't have anyone who could come with me, I can't ask any family members and I don't really have any friends. I have work friends, but I don't dare ask any of them to come with me as they'll think I'm being silly.

I feel strong enough to do it. Thanks for the advice though :XXLhug:

Thanks hatemyself.

I think I am ready to do this, even though I don't want to, I know it'll be for the best. I want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my wisdom teeth, they're hurting a lot lately, and there's a foul taste/smell coming from one of them.

I don't have anyone who could come with me, I can't ask any family members and I don't really have any friends. I have work friends, but I don't dare ask any of them to come with me as they'll think I'm being silly.

I feel strong enough to do it. Thanks for the advice though :XXLhug:

In that case well done. You are a conscientious and strong person. You know something's wrong and you want to solve it and you're ready to do it. Now you just have to, well, DO it. And you'll do great, take lots of deep breaths, try to relax and know everything is at YOUR pace.

Sending bear hugs your way! :bear::bear::bear::bear::bear:

In that case well done. You are a conscientious and strong person. You know something's wrong and you want to solve it and you're ready to do it. Now you just have to, well, DO it. And you'll do great, take lots of deep breaths, try to relax and know everything is at YOUR pace.

Sending bear hugs your way! :bear::bear::bear::bear::bear:

Thanks for the bear hugs :bear:

I'll probably be nervous as hell before my appointment though.

Thanks for the bear hugs :bear:

I'll probably be nervous as hell before my appointment though.

Oh man! I hope you're not but in case you are my advice is to accept it. No experience will ever be perfect. If you feel too anxious to go through with it, step away, if you feel brave enough to go ahead, go ahead but with caution. Monitor yourself. Try some breathing exercises. Have you heard of Headspace? It's this amazing app for meditation that is really really good, they do short 3 min exercises. I had to go for a check up at my dentist and I tried some of the techniques they taught (slowing breathing, focussing on breath, body scanning etc.) and it worked actually!

When you're in the room try to go as slow as you can - go only as quickly as you feel able to. Know that it will all only be transient and you will leave the room again soon. Tell the guy you're nervous and DO NOT consent to anything you do not feel comfortable with.

I know it's easy for me to say, not being in your position, but my best advice is to keep calm. I use the tactic of keeping calm in the room then dealing with the anxiety when I come out... probably not the most healthy way of coping. Oh well.

Ask questions and keep informed. Know that you are incredibly brave. When you're out, collect yourself and calmly make your way home - any influxes of emotion could be bad if you're driving/cycling. Sorry - I'm just telling you what I'd do.

You may be nervous but you are also brave. Keep an eye on your mood and know when to step back. You got this :bear:

Back