• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Off I go...

Frostgirl,

As nervous as you are . you are doing so amazing! I agree with all the rest on everything. and I know for me I'm always nervous like especially the last day to the point I walk through the door. I remember one time I was walking to my new dentist office the one my previous dentist had switched to for the 2nd time there, I was Sooo nervous , and talking to myself in the hall.. breath, taking deep breaths and heart was pounding and I'm thinking .. why am I so nervous... I guess it is just normal.. anyways.. lol right then my dentist come up from behind me ,aside me and also walks in ( lol as I'm dying. like he just saw me freaking out and taking deep breaths in the hallway) well. he didn't say a bit.. just kindly gave me greeting and smile like we were old friends ,and they called me back soon.. anyways.. I really wish you the best for tomorrow , I hope your hygenist is lovely and kind to you.. look forward to hearing.. :):grouphug:

I'm feeling a bit better now. I think because it's something unfamiliar to me, that's why I'm feeling so apprehensive and nervous.

I should be fine tomorrow, all I have to focus on is getting there tomorrow. That's all I need to worry myself with at the moment. I can do this.

I thought I had managed to calm myself down a little bit but I must not have because my anxiety related stomach problems have appeared. I feel so nauseous :(

I thought I had managed to calm myself down a little bit but I must not have because my anxiety related stomach problems have appeared. I feel so nauseous :(

I think it comes in waves and probably is worse when you are not busy with other things.

I think it comes in waves and probably is worse when you are not busy with other things.

I agree. My nerves are definitely worse when I have nothing to occupy my mind with. Though saying that, trying to focus on other things when I'm anxious can be difficult :(

Well, today's the day. Oh god. I want to do this but I'm so anxious. I'm sure I'll be in good hands :thumbsup:

With you in spirit and looking forward to reading about your next victory! You can do this!

I've just got out from my appointment. I knew I was worrying over nothing. It was absolutely fine.

When I got there, the nurse I met when I first got there last week was on reception and so was the nurse from my check up as well. The one who got me to calm down a bit last week came and sat with me and asked me how I was feeling. I explained that I was a bit nervous because I didn't know what to expect. And she explained to me about what would happen and I had a choice between having it done with the ultrasonic or just with hand tools. She said that I could try with the ultrasonic first and if I don't like they could carry on with hand tools. And she let the hygienist know this as well.

Sitting and waiting was making my anxiety go up a bit more, but I did manage to calm down a bit. Went through, the hygienist explained I can stop if I want to, and explained what she would be doing. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be! It was so easy. She used the ultrasonic on a few teeth first and stopped to ask me how I found it. It was fine. Just a lot of water being shot into my mouth but it was fine. It was a bit sensitive around a few teeth but I was in no real discomfort. After that was done, she gave my teeth a polish, that was completely fine as well. My teeth feel so weird now. So smooth and clean! I knew I would get myself worked up over nothing.

I did also book my next check up before I left, so I'll be back there in February. It honestly wasn't bad. I was actually a lot more relaxed than I thought I would be. The nurse on reception gave me a few Toothpaste samples before I left as well, which was nice. Everyone was so lovely and supportive, so I think I'll be fine. I know I'll still get a bit anxious before my next appointment but I know I'll be in good hands.

That is truly awesome to read! I had a strong feeling everything would go well! It sounds like you really can’t go wrong with anyone in that office. They all sound so lovely! If you feel comfortable in doing so, please leave a recommendation for this office on the forum in the dentist recommendations section so others can benefit as you have. If you aren’t comfortable posting but would like to share the recommendation still you could send it to letsconnect in a private message and she can post it anonymously on your behalf.

I will do Kitkat!

My teeth looks so clean and white. The stain that's been on one of my front teeth for years is finally gone. I feel so much better :grin:

I will do Kitkat!

My teeth looks so clean and white. The stain that's been on one of my front teeth for years is finally gone. I feel so much better :grin:

:jump::jump::jump: yay! Very well done, give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy your shopping! :dance2:

That is great it went so well, frostgirl. T-minus 2.5 hours until I have my cleaning and exam. I’m so glad it went so well for you and it does make me feel a little better. I hope my appointment goes just as well. ??

Thanks for being an inspiration. You are so brave!

So happy for you Frostgirl!!! So glad to hear it went well and she seems sensitive and kind and competant.. This is some definate positive momentum.!! :welldone: :dance2::you-rock:

I know this is going to sound weird, but I can't stop looking at my teeth. They look so white and clean! I had a stain on one of my front teeth for ages, which I thought it was a cavity (it wasn't) and now it's gone, and my teeth look so clean and white. I know it's only a small thing, but I'm so relieved that I managed to get myself there yesterday and go through with it.

I do appreciate everyone's support on here, it means a lot to me :thankyou:

I know this is going to sound weird, but I can't stop looking at my teeth. They look so white and clean! I had a stain on one of my front teeth for ages, which I thought it was a cavity (it wasn't) and now it's gone, and my teeth look so clean and white. I know it's only a small thing, but I'm so relieved that I managed to get myself there yesterday and go through with it.

I do appreciate everyone's support on here, it means a lot to me :thankyou:
Not weird at all, frostgirl! When I got my “first” filling after going back in so many years, I was in love with it. I couldn’t stop feeling it with my tongue, and I even took a picture of it! The tooth had a crack down the side and I had been putting a temporary filling in it for 7 years. When I had the real filling, it was like night and day. I was in love with it and was convinced (actually I still am) that dentists are gods. :)

Thinking about it now, I kept having a similar feeling after my first scaling 2 years ago. I just couldn't believe how it felt and they only did one quadrant , the thought in my mind, after being so fearful I almost didn't go, but after I was thinking.. I really wish I could do this to my entire mouth.. well its expensive and didn't have deep; pockets on the rest.. but the feeling is amazing. well even regular cleaning feels great as well.. :).. its amazing how some things feel different

Congrats frostgirl. I'm glad things went so well and that you are happy with the result. You will probably feel better overall next time since you will know what to expect.

How time flies. I can't believe two years this month, I went for my first dental appointment in 15/16 years. Even though I didn't manage to go last year, I feel proud for going this year and going back for a second appointment.

Slightly annoyed at myself for the little bit of buildup on my lower front teeth, but I think that's the only place it's come back at. My teeth still look whiter than they were, which has boosted my self confidence a bit. I've even been looking for orthodontists to possible go to in the future, I would like to get braces eventually to sort my crooked smile out.

Having a bit of a panic though. I've agreed to give my sister a lift to a consultation to be sedated for some dental work. I hope she doesn't want me to come in with her as I'll be a bit nervous even though its mot for me. I feel sorry for her as she's been waiting for this appointment for nearly 8 months now and it could be more months until they actually do it. By the time she gets to the appointment for it, there might not be any tooth left to save. I know she'll be alright but I don't want to go in with her.

I've just got myself worked up thinking I had chipped one of my molars, when I don't think I actually have. Is it just paranoia? I get terrible worried every time I'm eating anything crunchy and if chew something very crunchy, I get worried that I've chipped a tooth. Because if I have, that would mean I would have to go to the dentist. Oh god. I don't think I have, it doesn't look like it has. And there's no pain. Maybe it's just paranoia.

I'm just venting and I didn't know where else to post this.

You are not the only one there.. I"m glad you didn't chip it . but once in a while I"ll get something extra crunchy and panic I chipped a tooth or another crown fell off. Glad you posted. you are not alone..

Back