• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Off I go...

Er. I've just had like an appointment reminder email about half an hour ago from my practice and it says I have an appointment for tomorrow. Even though I've never booked one :confused: the problem I posted about in the Ask a question section has seemed to have healed itself. I'm confused and very anxious now :confused: Also slightly paranoid as well.

I've sent an email to see what's happened, hopefully it's just an error.

False alarm, it was just an error. Phew.

I can only imagine what a shock it must have been to see that confirmation. Glad things clarified and good to hear your original issue has gone by itself!

I don't why, but I seem to worrying about my next visit, even though its two months away nearly. I try to stop worrying but I can't seem to. It keeps popping up in my mind. But I don't have the weird feeling I had after visiting the first dentist I went to nearly two years ago. I know everyone there is lovely and reassuring. So I know I'll be in good hands. But my mind just likes to panic.

I think it's probably going to take a while to get used to the whole routine of going. Because even at nearly 24 years old, because I can count the number of times I've been to a dentist on one hand. And I know it's just anxiety and not a full blown fear. I've never had a bad experience like some members of this forum have had. It's mostly not knowing what to expect that sets my anxiety through the roof. And partly because I'm terrified that I'm going to be shamed or embarrassed by the state of my teeth. Which, realistically, I know will never happen.

Maybe the past week or two, where I had a problem that I nearly needed to get checked out and the false alarm with the reminder emails, has got me worrying about it. I know I should be fine. I mean, I will probably be panicking closer to the time, but this should pass, hopefully.

:unsure::confused:

I don't why, but I seem to worrying about my next visit, even though its two months away nearly. I try to stop worrying but I can't seem to. It keeps popping up in my mind. But I don't have the weird feeling I had after visiting the first dentist I went to nearly two years ago. I know everyone there is lovely and reassuring. So I know I'll be in good hands. But my mind just likes to panic.

I think it's probably going to take a while to get used to the whole routine of going. Because even at nearly 24 years old, because I can count the number of times I've been to a dentist on one hand. And I know it's just anxiety and not a full blown fear. I've never had a bad experience like some members of this forum have had. It's mostly not knowing what to expect that sets my anxiety through the roof. And partly because I'm terrified that I'm going to be shamed or embarrassed by the state of my teeth. Which, realistically, I know will never happen.

Maybe the past week or two, where I had a problem that I nearly needed to get checked out and the false alarm with the reminder emails, has got me worrying about it. I know I should be fine. I mean, I will probably be panicking closer to the time, but this should pass, hopefully.

Mine is 2.5 months away, so I know the feeling. I dread the cleaning more than I dread problem-focused appointments.

It helps me to remember how quick it is. Like if your appointment is exactly two months away (86,400 minutes) and your appointment is 1 hour (60 minutes), then in the next two months, you’ll spend .00001157 of your time in the chair. That math may be completely wrong, haha, but just know the amount of time is next to nothing in the scope of all the other experiences you’ll have between then and now.

I think the more appointments we have, the more comfortable we’ll become. Hang in there.

Thank you thisisme

I need to remember it this way. I think it's both the check up and cleaning on the same day, so one after another. Which I suppose will be easier. If I'm already there for one, I can't back out of the other one. I think it will probably take about an hour, so it's only 60 minutes of my life.

Thanks again :)

You and I seem to be experiencing very similar feelings although our scenarios are a bit different. I see that you read my journal entry already. I consider myself a dental phobia veteran but I still go back and forth with anxiety. Some visits, I feel completely (or mostly) calm while other ones (including this one), I worry about a lot in advance. I haven’t found any rhyme or reason to it...it’s just how I feel. Sometimes I’ve noticed that appointments I worry about more in advance, I end being calmer once I’m there (maybe I just get all of it out of my system ahead of time) and then appointments where I feel calm leading up, I get more anxious last minute once I’m actually going in. So maybe worrying now is a good thing...I think I’m mostly concerned with what they will find. I have had more sensitivity than usual and I’ve gone a few years without needing much work and I’m due for a full mouth of X-rays so I can’t imagine they won’t find ANYTHING at all! Just typing this I’m starting to feel even more anxious...I just want it over with. Waiting is the worst part!

Thank you Kitkat

I have been reading your journal from the beginning (again, I have read it before but this was a while ago), and I get what you mean about going back and forth with your anxiety. Hopefully if I get all of my worries out before I go out, I'll be some what calmer when I'm there.

Waiting is the worst. My mind starts to panic thinking something is wrong with my teeth but I don't think there will be. I've had no major aches or pains. Just slight sensitivity every now and then. I am slightly terrified that the small area that could turn into decay has, and that they'll surprise me by treating it at my next appointment there and then. I don't think they would do that, but I've only been there twice, one appointment with the dentist and one with the hygienist, so I can't really tell at this point. That's my biggest worry at the moment.

But I've been good, trying to restrict sugary foods to meal times and I've cut down a lot on snacking in between meals. Hopefully this helps stop it from developing further.

I am slightly looking forward to having my teeth cleaned again. I loved how clean and fresh my teeth felt after I got them cleaned. And I'll know what to expect this time. I am starting to ramble now ?

I have not read my journal from the beginning in so long (perhaps I should do that). It is nice to know that other people read it! If they do find something and suggest fixing it then, you always have the option to say “I’d like to schedule to come back for that on another day” and they will respect that choice. I think it’s very rare that they would fix it on the same day. With my dentist, 99.99% of the time, I have been asked to make another appointment to come back simply because there isn’t time in her schedule to do it and the supplies is not prepared, etc. There was one occasion where I scheduled an appointment to have a tooth looked at because I broke a filling (I knew I broke it) and really assumed that she would only assess the tooth that day and then make me come back later to have the filling replaced. Unfortunately (to my dismay), she said “I can fix it now if you have the time...” Completely caught off guard with no excuse not to, I agreed to do it. I don’t recall getting super anxious during that appointment because I just didn’t have time to process anything but I was very proud of myself for coping with an impromptu filling replacement.

Under two months to go.

I've been dwelling on it a bit lately. But I think it's going to take a bit of time to get used to going. I want to get myself into the routine of going twice a year. Just so I can avoid any problems. I know I'll be fine. They were all caring and supportive when I was there in August, so I'll be in good hands.

I've been having a lot of jaw discomfort/pain, and I don't think it's all down to stress. I'm going to ask about this when I next go. I yawned this afternoon and my jaw made the loudest crack that I've ever heard before. It was very concerning because it hurt a little afterwards. I know I clench my jaw when I stressed/annoyed (which is most of the time), but it's really starting to concern me. I'll have to ask about it. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Hopefully I can forget about it until nearer to the day.

Just over a month to go now...

Trying not to focus on it but it keeps popping up. The more I try not to focus on it, the more I worry about it :shame:

frostgirl, hi.
Just been reading your journal. (A bit, but I think I'll be reading it all. It's good stuff. :) )
Trying not focus on stuff is like, well, it's hard to say the least?
Trying not to think about a pink elephant is arguably easier!
Anyway, thanks for keeping such a full and honest journal.
It is helpful for people like me to read. I wish that my own serves the same purpose, in time.
I hope you find someway to distract yourself for at least a good portion of the next 30 days.
Wish I could suggest stuff but I'm kind of the same, in that respect.
One night, due to anxiety, I found myself conjugating Latin verbs. That didn't last too long because I don't really know enough vocabulary in that language. :) I'll try almost anything.
As for the jaw-clenching, I'm booked into a Relaxation Workshop to see if I can address this type of thing. I do hate the tension. And the cracking stuff, especially at nights, when the house is quiet, it can seem so loud.
But this is hardly helping distract you! Sorry.
Thanks.

Thank you ilovemydentistreally, your post made me smile.

I may finally start exercising just so I can use up some nervous energy :giggle:

25 days to go...

Currently alternating between being somewhat calm and :frantic:

I'm feeling a bit positive about it though. I'm slowly starting to get into a routine of going to a dentist, after a long time of not going.

I am slightly worried that I'm going to get told off by the hygienist for not trying hard enough to keep my teeth clean, I am, it just builds up so fast behind my front lower teeth. Realistically I know this shouldn't happen, but it's just lingering in my mind even after I tell myself it won't happen.

Argh.

Me too! Good luck for your appointment, hope it goes well for you!

Frostgirl, I am worried about my upcoming appointment in early March but I keep telling myself it’s only been six months since my last hygienist visit. Last time, it was 16 years! ? You are doing the best you can at keeping your teeth clean and your office does not sound like a shaming office at all. For me, I try to avoid a countdown. It makes me feel like I am waiting until doomsday. Instead I just keep up with my normal routine. I don’t even know the exact date of my upcoming appt. for that reason. I will look come the end of Feb. ?? You will do great!

I think you're right, I need to stop counting down.

And they don't seem like a place that would shame me, I know that most of them that I've met so far have all be lovely and caring, so I know I won't be shamed.

Thank you for the support and reassurance!

I'm feeling alright about my upcoming appointments. I should be fine, everyone there seems to be so nice and caring, so I know I'll be in good hands.

I think the waiting is getting to me. I have a terrible habit of thinking of the worst case scenario :shame:

I've just got to try to forget about it for a bit and all I have do is focus on getting there on the day of my appointment.

Appointment is at the end of next week and I'm slightly nervous about it already :shame:

Realistically, I know I should be fine and that everyone was nice and caring, so I'll be good hands. But in reality, I'm a bit nervous and worried. I think it's just going to take some time to get used to going regularly :confused:

Back