• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Off I go...

I keep trying to tell myself that I will be fine on Tuesday and everyone that I've met there so far is lovely and reassuring and calming, that I will be in good hands with them. But I feel so anxious still. I think I'm mostly worried about bad news and I worry that I won't be able to cope with the treatment and the noises as well are also worrying me. Hopefully there's nothing wrong but I am really worried about the discomfort near the place where my last wisdom tooth is meant to come through. Hopefully that it's nothing serious and that I'm just being an anxious mess ??

I've just got to remind myself that I will be fine. I've just got to focus on getting there, that's all I need to worry about now.

I keep trying to tell myself that I will be fine on Tuesday and everyone that I've met there so far is lovely and reassuring and calming, that I will be in good hands with them. But I feel so anxious still. I think I'm mostly worried about bad news and I worry that I won't be able to cope with the treatment and the noises as well are also worrying me. Hopefully there's nothing wrong but I am really worried about the discomfort near the place where my last wisdom tooth is meant to come through. Hopefully that it's nothing serious and that I'm just being an anxious mess ??

I've just got to remind myself that I will be fine. I've just got to focus on getting there, that's all I need to worry about now.

My hygienist asked if I was less anxious because I see my ortho so much and I said no because that’ appointment is about progress and not problems, and she said that she can have the dentist come in the beginning of the appointment, instead of the end, so I don’t have to think about it all visit. You may want to ask that. I think once you get that part out of the way, your appointment will be a breeze!

You were there six months ago with no major concerns and it sounds like you take good care of your teeth. I still worry every appointment but you got this.

Thank you @thisisme

I normally always see the dentist first, and then the hygienist, I've only had it once the other way around, so I don't have to spend the whole time worrying. I normally do tend to settle down a bit after I get there and then once the dentist has had a look I calm down a bit more. I know I should be fine, I think it's the anticipation getting to me ?

Thank again though

At least by this time tomorrow, my appointment will be long over and done with. I'm feeling alright today, still a bit anxious/worried but I'm feeling a lot better about it today

Just getting ready to set off in a bit and I feel so nauseous ? Hopefully everything goes well ?

And I'm done.

It was completely fine. My anxiety level went up a little bit when I got there but I started to settle down. Check up went well, but for my first time for being tipped back in the chair, I was a bit light headed when I was upright again (normally stay upright) ? Actually managed to mention the discomfort I had the other week and he doesn't seem concerned after he had a look. My cleaning went well too, even though its still hand scaling, and there was moments were I was like, argh, it was fine. I saw a different hygienist this time and she seemed pleased with my routine, which is good too. So that's another positive experience for me to help ease my anxiety. I go back in August ?

It was also really nice to not be a nervous wreck and have an actual conversation, which did help ease my nervousness, as having someone chatting away about something unrelated to teeth when they're in my mouth makes it a hell of a lot easier.

And breath ?

I appreciate the courage it must have taken for you to go. So glad for you!

I just still can't believe how nice and friendly everyone at this practice is. It does make it easier for me to go because I know they are all lovely and friendly. I mean, I will probably still have my freak-outs before I go, see any of my posts from the past few weeks ? But I'm shocked at myself for managing to go for routine appointments for a year and a half now, nearly two years. I appreciate the support from everyone who's helped me on here :thankyou: (I know I've said this before but I'll say it again)

I've just read your entire journey. Wow. Congrats to you!! Tysm for your kind words on mine as well. Maybe one day soon, thru many many tears, ill be there too. ?

Heyyy, Frostgirl! I totally missed getting to you and at least wishing you good luck, sorry! What a lovely success story. Can you see how much progress you are making over time? Having a conversation, being tipped back for the exam.. :wow:and your dental team sounds awesome. And after all, you know, it’s ok to be scared. If you had an appointment every day (which probably would be a nightmare), you may stop being worried pretty soon, because everything would be familiar, but with an appointment every 6 months, it goes more slowly so there still may be some anxiety before an apt. Hope you can remember this nice visit when you go in in August:)

Thanks Enarete ?

My dental team are really great, everyone there is so lovely and it does help take away some of my nervousness. I just need to bare these positive experiences in mind and I've got to try and forget about my next visit ?

I have had tremendous success with the 4:4:8 technique, however I only do 2-3 runs (which is sufficient to feel a noticeable relaxation) and then breathe normally in order not to hyperventilate. Also your current breathing sets the length count so just breathing in and making it being 4 and then going from there if it makes sense.
Could you please share with me what this 4:4:8 technique is, please?

I'm feeling a bit insecure at the moment about how my teeth look, more so about how my teeth look slanted and how one of my front teeth just sticks out a lot ? I've enjoyed this past year of wearing a mask at work, no one can see it and judge me, but I've not been wearing it at work this week or last because its not compulsory any more and it's too hot (I don't know how health care workers do it, I feel so bad they have to wear so much PPE in the heat we've been having). I keep looking at the orthodontists I'm considering but I'm not brave enough to do a virtual consultation with my first choice (ideally). I hate video calls because it reminds me so much of how messed up my teeth are. I can fake it, and when I take selfies it doesn't show as much as it does in real life, but sometimes even then it knocks my confidence.

I know I'm going to have to wait until I can get a better job with a better salary, I don't make a lot in a year so I can't afford braces right now. But the sooner I start the process the sooner I can be finished. I just feel so sad atm ? Feels like I'm never going to achieve one of the few things I actually want in life.

I've got a check up in a few weeks time, which I'm feeling okay about so far, and I'm debating on whether to ask my dentist if they have any recommendations for orthodontists, but I know by the time my appointment comes, I probably won't be brave enough to ask ? I know my dentist offers braces but I think it's more just for people if they have slight problems, not bigger issues ?

I just feel a bit hideous atm, hoping this will pass.

Sorry for rambling ?

I'm feeling a bit insecure at the moment about how my teeth look, more so about how my teeth look slanted and how one of my front teeth just sticks out a lot ? I've enjoyed this past year of wearing a mask at work, no one can see it and judge me, but I've not been wearing it at work this week or last because its not compulsory any more and it's too hot (I don't know how health care workers do it, I feel so bad they have to wear so much PPE in the heat we've been having). I keep looking at the orthodontists I'm considering but I'm not brave enough to do a virtual consultation with my first choice (ideally). I hate video calls because it reminds me so much of how messed up my teeth are. I can fake it, and when I take selfies it doesn't show as much as it does in real life, but sometimes even then it knocks my confidence.

I know I'm going to have to wait until I can get a better job with a better salary, I don't make a lot in a year so I can't afford braces right now. But the sooner I start the process the sooner I can be finished. I just feel so sad atm ? Feels like I'm never going to achieve one of the few things I actually want in life.

I've got a check up in a few weeks time, which I'm feeling okay about so far, and I'm debating on whether to ask my dentist if they have any recommendations for orthodontists, but I know by the time my appointment comes, I probably won't be brave enough to ask ? I know my dentist offers braces but I think it's more just for people if they have slight problems, not bigger issues ?

I just feel a bit hideous atm, hoping this will pass.

Sorry for rambling ?

You are not hideous. Society has everyone convinced they have to have straight teeth to be beautiful, just like you have to be skinny, not wear glasses, etc. There’s a problem with society, not with you. There are so many times I’ve been called beautiful despite how I felt about my teeth... but I wouldn’t let myself believe it because society had me convinced it wasn’t possible. That’s just nonsense. I don’t even have to see you to know you’re beautiful.

All that being said, everyone has things about them they don’t like, things other people don’t even notice but things that eat away at them. I understand that. I also understand the dread of seeing my teeth on video calls that an in person appointment was definitely easier for me. Orthodontic treatment is expensive, but from my experience, there’s some great financing options. It sounds like this is something you really want, so you’ll definitely achieve it. All goals take time and patience and perseverance. In the meantime, you are beautiful. Try not to beat yourself up. You get to where you want to be. Sending love! ?

I feel mostly alright about my check up next week. The only thing that's worrying me is the nagging thought that my teeth have gone downhill in six months. I know they haven't, but I am slightly worried I need a filling. But I suppose I will have to wait and see. I only have to focus on getting myself there on the day. Argh ?

I have felt mostly alright but now I feel so nervous and I feel like I'm going to be sick. And my nervous bladder has kicked in ☹️ At least by this time tomorrow, it will be over and done with (hopefully ?)

I knew I was getting myself wound up for no reason ?

Another positive visit done ?

Congratulations ?

Lovely to hear that things went so well (yet again) ?

I've got my next check up in a few weeks, but my nervousness has increased slightly as it could potentially be with a new dentist ? I know they'll probably be kind and caring like my current one but I'm just so worried that they're not going to be ?

Back